Tide animation online

djlewis

Sometime in the last year or two somebody posted (here or on some kayaking forum) a link to a fascinating dynamic, online animation/visualization of the tidal patterns in the Gulf of Maine. It showed the incoming and outgoing tides very graphically over daily cycles, including those of nearby bodies like Cape Cod Bay, Nantucket/Vineyard Sound, Buzzard's Bay.

I can't find it again, alas -- can anybody supply a link.

Thanks. --David.

Is this the link your looking for:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/tides.htm

That's quite an article -- have yet to read it fully.

But it's not what I'm seeking. It was an outline map of the Gulf of Maine and surrounding bodies of water -- the Eastern tip LI to Nova Scotia, iirc -- and a bunch of moving particles or lines showing the daily flow of water in various directions, the ebb and flow of the tide. It was pretty spectacular and endlessly fascinating to watch and pick out details. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark it

One thing I recall is that showed pretty clearly, for example, that Nantucket/Vineyard Sound basically forms a big eddy off the main Gulf of Maine, which is why the tides there are counter-intuitive.

But thanks for the article -- I will look at it.

--David.

That's quite an article -- have yet to read it fully.

But it's not what I'm seeking. It was an outline map of the Gulf of Maine and surrounding bodies of water -- the Eastern tip LI to Nova Scotia, iirc -- and a bunch of moving particles or lines showing the daily flow of water in various directions, the ebb and flow of the tide. It was pretty spectacular and endlessly fascinating to watch and pick out details. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark it

One thing I recall is that showed pretty clearly, for example, that Nantucket/Vineyard Sound basically forms a big eddy off the main Gulf of Maine, which is why the tides there are counter-intuitive.

But thanks for the article -- I will look at it.

--David.

It's a great article John H posted it March of 07.

-Jason

Hah...found it in one of your own posts

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showto...hl=tide+graphic

Don't forget about the search feature in the forums.

Duh!! Thanks! (A friend from Albany, who is an avid kayaker and web developer extraordinaire) originally found this.

I think this site has gotten a lot better since I last looked. For example, this visualization (http://tinyurl.com/62pjdx) shows clearly how the flood tide in Nantucket and Vineyard Sound flows W to E, when you'd think it would be the other way. And strangest of all, the flood tide from the S. Harwich and the Sound side of Chatham -- like Harding Beach and around S. Monomoy -- flows out to sea.

Also, look at the complexities around the Elizabeths chain (Woods Hole to Cuttyhunk), where the "backwards" flow in the two Sounds meets the "normal" flow in Buzzard's Bay.

In general, this shows the futility of trying to predict tidal currents simply from tide levels. It's all just swirls in God's coffee. :)