Posting to Gallery??

alcoons

Have some pictures from today's Private Trip to Misery. Is the Gallery ready for posting? At this point I am being told I do not have permission.

[Given the condition of the paddlers, this may be very understandable. However, the seals looked in much better shape. Just joking about the paddlers...was a great trip, 13 miles with nice conditions, flat on the way out, sun from time to time, reasonable wind and waves on the return.]

Thanks,

Al

Ok...Gallery should be functioning. File size limit is 1 meg and 1600px x 1200px. Each user is limited to 50 meg of space for their gallery.

To create your gallery:

1.) Log into the forums

2.) Click on "My Controls"

3.) Click on "Your Albums"

4.) Click "Create Album"

5.) Place a title and description

6.) Check the box if you would like the album to be public

7.) Click on "Your Albums" again

8.) From the drop down menu click "Upload Image"

9.) Fill out the caption and description

10.) Click "Add Image"

Ok...Gallery should be functioning. File size limit is 1 meg and 1600px x 1200px. Each user is limited to 50 meg of space for their gallery.

Thanks Bill..will post the pictures when I am back in town at the end of the week.

If it helps as a reference, the ones I uploaded were 72 dpi, approximately 3 x 5 inches (360 x 270 pixels), and about 285 K each. This way I could get a lot uploaded and stay well within the 50mg limit.

My interest was to get enough uploaded to "tell the story" of a few NSPN events this year, rather than focus on sharing higher quality files with members for printing quality. (If anybody wanted a better version, they do exist and I could email a favorite to someone if they asked...) You may want them to be larger or have better quality than I did.

Hope that helps a little. ^_^

Bill:

Can you recommend an optimal photo resolution that will balance good detail with economizing on storage space on the site?

Scott

Well, that's a tough question to answer. So many variables. With .jpg's we can adjust the dimensions as well as the amount of compression to achieve smaller file sizes. To give an idea of size, the width of this web site is 762 pixels. With compression adjustments available with any photo editing program, you can often adjust quality down to 60% without any real noticeable loss of quality. This is especially true of kayak photo's that are mostly blue with sky and water. So, I personally like the good old standard of 640 x 480 with some compression, ie quality set at 80% or lower. Check out this link for a more detailed description of .jpg compression. Hope this helps.

To create your gallery:

1.) Log into the forums

2.) Click on "My Controls"

3.) Click on "Your Albums"

4.) Click "Create Album"

5.) Place a title and description

6.) Check the box if you would like the album to be public

7.) Click on "Your Albums" again

8.) From the drop down menu click "Upload Image"

9.) Fill out the caption and description

10.) Click "Add Image"

This worked well, but the system is confusing when trying to upload multiple pics and keep them in order.

1) Is there an efficient way to upload an entire folder of pictures that are on a computer desktop besides the batch command (see below)? Keeping them in order would be expected.

2) I did find the batch command. I was trying to upload 21 pictures, so I had to break them up into 3 batches of 7. By experimentation, I discovered I had to upload the last batch first and so on. I also found out I had to load the pictures in reverse order within each batch. So if my first picture was number 1 and my last was number 21, and the first batch I uploaded was batch 1 and the last batch 3, I uploaded in the following order:

Batch 1: 21, 20,...,15

Batch 2: 14,13,...,8

Batch 3: 7,6,...,1

Am I missing something or is this the correct/only proceedure?

Thanks for all the hard work getting the site going.

Al

This worked well, but the system is confusing when trying to upload multiple pics and keep them in order.

1) Is there an efficient way to upload an entire folder of pictures that are on a computer desktop besides the batch command (see below)? Keeping them in order would be expected.

2) I did find the batch command. I was trying to upload 21 pictures, so I had to break them up into 3 batches of 7. By experimentation, I discovered I had to upload the last batch first and so on. I also found out I had to load the pictures in reverse order within each batch. So if my first picture was number 1 and my last was number 21, and the first batch I uploaded was batch 1 and the last batch 3, I uploaded in the following order:

Batch 1: 21, 20,...,15

Batch 2: 14,13,...,8

Batch 3: 7,6,...,1

Am I missing something or is this the correct/only proceedure?

Thanks for all the hard work getting the site going.

Al

You are correct. Folder upload is not an option. Images are uploaded so that the last one uploaded is considered the most recent, therefore put first in order.

You are correct. Folder upload is not an option. Images are uploaded so that the last one uploaded is considered the most recent, therefore put first in order.

Thanks Bill. Batch uploading is not too bad after you figure it out.

Al

Yes, the slideshow option is there. I suspect you have been just clicking on the images in order to view pictures. If you instead click on the album titles (the text rather than the thumbnail), it will bring you to the user album page which includes the slideshow option. Once you click the slideshow button, you will have some settings to select (I suggest you turn off show forum header/footer).