Advice for a Novice

Erica

Hello, All -

After five years of paddling a friends boat or heading out on tours with the folks at ERBA, I was recently given a kayak for my birthday. She's beautiful. Now, I can't wait to get her in the water! In the past, the borrowed kayak has always been at the water's edge and I have slipped into the boat and simply paddled around -- I wasn't worried about skills and I was either with a group or paddling close to shore in a protected bay with a friend right beside me.

Now that I am an official kayaker, I feel like I have a ton to learn. Things that I did not expect to be a struggle have been -- from figuring out where to store the kayak (I live in an attic apartment of an old home with a very narrow staircase) and how to get it on and off my car by myself (I'm looking into the extension bar mentioned elsewhere on the message board), to figuring out how to maneuver my kayak on land. I also realize that, as someone who has never had to do a wet exit, I am woefully lacking in skills.

To that end, I am looking for advice to help this novice become a real kayaker! I would like to start attending the skills sessions on Tuesday and Thursday night. Is this an appropriate forum to learn about and attempt the wet exit? Also, I noticed that a wet suit is often required for trips in June. Where can I get one? Don't you get dreadfully hot wearing a wet suit?

Well, this was a half introduction and half plea for help! I would certainly appreciate any advice you have for a newbie -- and if anyone is willing to paddle with a newbie and show me some of the best places to kayak and perhaps give me a few pointers, please drop me a line!

I look forward to seeing you all out on the water!

Take care,

Erica

The skills sessions are the perfect place to learn and practice the necessary beginner skills. There are always plenty of people willing to offer assistance and advice at the skills sessions.

You definetly need to have a farmer jane westsuit 3mm thick. It is probably the most versatile piece clothing you will own. Get one that fits right (tight). You should look into zipper options for women that may make life easier when nature calls. (I'm sure some other women will offer their experiences in this regard) You may think they will be hot, but they really aren't, if you do get hot, it's easy enough to cool off in the chilly ocean water. They are available from any local paddling shop or outdoor rec store.

Welcome aboard !

Since you haven't yet tried a wet exit, I'm assuming you've had no real professional instruction, even at ERBA. If so, I would also recommend looking into commercial course offerings. One good systematic beginner's sequence in the vicinity is at Charles River Canoe & Kayak (CRCK) http://ski-paddle.com/main.html. (There are others, like http://www.ospreyseakayak.com/ on the south shore, and ERBA itself offers this as well. I don't have direct experience with either, but I know the folks who run Osprey are top-notch. Maybe somebody else will chime in regarding ERBA.)

The advantage of that, versus just NSPN practice sessions, is a systematically designed curriculum and professional instructors. Actually, the combination of professional instruction and NSPN is especially good -- learn the fundamentals from the pros; practice them, and get more tips and techniques in NSPN lake sessions. You'll very soon be ready for NSPN level 2 trips and then be off and running.

Anyway, CRCK offers both sequences of classes and day trips which are essentially instructional outings in various protected harbors -- so you get not only instruction but also some real salt-water experience. Those are their level 1 or introductory trips, and prepare you for their level 2 trips as well as the specific classes do.

It sounds like you live on the North Shore, in which case you may find CRCK day trips easier to get to. They seem to offer those nowadays in Manchester, Marblehead and Gloucester Harbors as well as Hingham.

It's all here -- http://ski-paddle.com/paddle_school/paddle_school.html

(Disclaimer -- I'm not associated with CRCK, but I started there myself and know a number of the people, and can attest that they are very good at teaching introductory kayaking.)

Whatever you do, welcome to the sport... and be careful not to get too addicted. ;-)))

--David.

Erica

I attended my first Tuesday night session last week and found it great for picking up skills like the correct stroke etc. I will hopefully be attempting my first wet exit from my own kayak this Tuesday.

I picked up a Farmer John this weekend so I'm more than ready to get wet this Tuesday.

Hopefully we'll see you there. Dee has the patience of a saint. : )

Derek

Echoing the advice of others, I will say that the tues/thurs skill sessions can be of enormous value. Not only will you also learn many skills and build your on-the-water confidence; you’ll also meet a bunch of great people!

>Since you haven't yet tried a wet exit, I'm assuming you've

>had no real professional instruction, even at ERBA. If so,

>I would also recommend looking into commercial course

>offerings. One good systematic beginner's sequence in the

>vicinity is at Charles River Canoe & Kayak (CRCK)

>http://ski-paddle.com/main.html. (There are others, like

>http://www.ospreyseakayak.com/ on the south shore, and ERBA

>itself offers this as well. I don't have direct experience

>with either, but I know the folks who run Osprey are

>top-notch. Maybe somebody else will chime in regarding

>ERBA.)

>

>The advantage of that, versus just NSPN practice sessions,

>is a systematically designed curriculum and professional

>instructors. Actually, the combination of professional

>instruction and NSPN is especially good -- learn the

>fundamentals from the pros; practice them, and get more tips

>and techniques in NSPN lake sessions. You'll very soon be

>ready for NSPN level 2 trips and then be off and running.

>

>Anyway, CRCK offers both sequences of classes and day trips

>which are essentially instructional outings in various

>protected harbors -- so you get not only instruction but

>also some real salt-water experience. Those are their level

>1 or introductory trips, and prepare you for their level 2

>trips as well as the specific classes do.

>

>It sounds like you live on the North Shore, in which case

>you may find CRCK day trips easier to get to. They seem to

>offer those nowadays in Manchester, Marblehead and

>Gloucester Harbors as well as Hingham.

>

>It's all here --

>http://ski-paddle.com/paddle_school/paddle_school.html

>

>(Disclaimer -- I'm not associated with CRCK, but I started

>there myself and know a number of the people, and can attest

>that they are very good at teaching introductory kayaking.)

>

>Whatever you do, welcome to the sport... and be careful not

>to get too addicted. ;-)))

>

>--David.

Hugh Braley, who also teaches at Osprey, is teaching some BCU 2/3* sessions through ERBA this summer.

Sam Ladd and Alex Landrum (also known as Samantha and Alexandra) also teach a Woman's Beginner Class at Osprey every summer. I'm not sure of the date but you can check with Sam at Osprey or Alex at NE Small Craft.

I know all three and recommend them highly.

Best of Luck,

Bob