Cold Water Day in Gloucester

Joyce Carpenter

After arrival, we spent time on the beach talking about dry suits, cold water, signs and symptoms of hypothermia, etc. Rob had some excellent examples of items one can use to warm someone who has spent enough time in the cold to be very chilled, but not so bad off as to need medical attention. The ideas about layering for both ourselves as we dressed in our dry suits and for warming someone else were very good.

Getting us all into the dry suits was an adventure. But once we were in with zippers done, we learned to burp. Then it was into the water, and more burping. This was my first time in a dry suit so the experience of going into the water and not getting wet was odd. Very odd!!

After a few minutes, we were feeling the cold. We spent some time warming up and discussing various safety issues on the beach. Then it was into our spray skirts and PFDs and back into the water for some swimming. We didn't get far, but we all found some methods of moving ourselves through the water. And then it was back the beach.

The brave amongst us (which did not include this author) took boats out and did some wet exits and rescues. I'll try it next time. Promise.

Boats on cars, sometime in the sun, and we called it a day. An excellent day!

Huge THANK YOU to Rob for a wonderful day!! I also send special thanks to Cathy for the use of her dry suit.

Just a couple of pics:

Marc speaking for everyone's attidude for the day!

post-102330-0-74091700-1366643632_thumb.

"So, this leg goes there, and that arm goes here...":

post-102330-0-01360700-1366643612_thumb.

On-lookers marvel at the creatures from another planet:

post-102330-0-68102100-1366643651_thumb.

I really enjoyed doing this, and I am glad that everyone was able to get something out of it.