Sunday Level 3/3- Cam -- August 12

alcoons

Sunday continues to have the better weather report for the weekend: Saturday 50% change of rain. Sunday 20%.

Low tides are mid-afternoon (1:40 PM Rockport) on Sunday. Ugh.

Since I have been away so much of the summer I am sure many of you are sick of the same paddles. So, anyone have any suggestions considering the tides? I will suggest launch at Lane's and head west (Cranes ?) for a total round trip of 10-14 miles but as usual, I am flexible. I need to be off the water around 3 PM.

Al

Cetus

Red over White, mostly over

Cathy and I would like to join you as long as the Salem Sound Swim & Fin orientation meeting does not get rain-delayed into Sunday. We have only paddled from Lane's Cove once, so we are up for anything in the area.

Cathy and I would like to join you as long as the Salem Sound Swim & Fin orientation meeting does not get rain-delayed into Sunday. We have only paddled from Lane's Cove once, so we are up for anything in the area.

We will definitely join you (no rain delay today).

Al,

Interested in launching from the high school and heading out towards Magnolia or the dog bar?

You might want to consider the heavy boat traffic through Blynman canal on a Sunday.... Much easier to launch from the Greasy Pole and skip the cut. I love the trip down to Magnolia. Liz

OK. What is posted here is all the interest there is that I know of. So, we have 5 possibles: Cathy and Rob, Kevin, Doug, and Al.

Given the low tide in Essex bay and the beauty of Manolia, I am going to suggest we do Greasy Pole to Magnolia. Due to parking, possible storms/increasing conditions and my need to be back I will suggest an early launch but changes certainly can be made. What works for you?

Please confirm if you expect to be there. Email me your cell at kayakclass@verizon.net and I will send you mine. Please continue to check here, including in the morning before you leave. I will be away from the computer from 5 PM until 10 PMtonight. I will check at that point and make another post.

Date: Sunday 8/12

Launch: 9:30 AM at Greasy Pole, Gloucester. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5606551

Weather: At this point (Saturday 3 PM) predicted weather (depending on which web site you look at) is 30% chance of precep, occasional thunderstorms, winds 7 mph increasing to 12 from the south. Low tide is 1:45 PM.

Route: Possible route: 10 miles http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5606551

Level: 3/3- Cam. We all work together. Not looking for a hard paddle, just an enjoyable pace.

Al

i'd like to join but the launch at 930 is a little daunting from Arlington. I can be paddling until later if anyone wants to extend the journey but it looks like the winds are higher in the afternoon.

Will look at the message board tomorrow and post here or communicate with Liz on my potential arrival.

Karen Gladstone

Tom,

Why don't you share a ride with Al, as I'm not 100%. I might paddle w/ Leon later instead; but if I'm up early I get to Greasy solo...unless Karen calls me in the morn to also carpool?

Ern

Tom,

Why don't you share a ride with Al, as I'm not 100%. I might paddle w/ Leon later instead; but if I'm up early I get to Greasy solo...unless Karen calls me in the morn to also carpool?

Ern

Sent you an email Tom.

Tom: OK.

Karen: I couldn't send a PM as you're an unpaid (oops?) member.

Call me at 781 483 3922, or 781 526-3860 ©, or be at my house by 8:30AM to carpool.

Liz: Weather.com calls showers to abate by 9AM, winds only 5-10kn.

Ern

Steady rains falling in Gloucester at 7:15 AM ... and the forecast is for a higher chance of thunderstorms later. Liz

As best as I can tell from multiple sources, thunderstorms are not expected to later afternnoon and conditions will improve not long after lauch. We can expect some light rain early and maybe a bit more later (<1/3 inch). Looks like some of us are going and of course we will have to be very aware of weather, but I am (carefully) optimistic and flexible.

Al

Forecast is for 10-12 knots and with the outgoing tide and southerly winds, you'll be looking at 2-3 foot wind waves as soon as you exit Gloucester Harbor.