2012-06-22 Swampscott/Nahant to Hull (and back)

mattdrayer

I couldn't believe how glassy the water looked when I put in at Swampscott Pier around 7:45am this morning. I got into a nice rhythm as I cut across Nahant Bay to the end of Nahant, with some of my mile splits coming in close to 10:00/mile. Cruising.

Nearing the point, I could feel a bit of anxiety about the upcoming crossing to Graves Light. But, when I got there and took a look I realized that I could see clear to the lighthouse, there wasn't a stitch of wind, swell, or chop, and boat traffic was minimal -- it couldn't have been more perfect. So I went for it -- picked up the Red 2 buoy just off of Nahant and then beelined to Graves Light. Making the light, I turned toward Outer Brewster, which was well within view. Passed Outer Brewster. Shag Rocks, then cut across the channels to the Green 3 buoy off of Hull. Although there weren't many boats coming out of the city on a Friday morning, I was happy to be past the channels all the same. Paddled the length of Nantasket Beach to my destination (the Beachfire Restaurant) where I met up with my coworkers just before 11am for our annual company summer outing.

Spent a couple hours resting up, drinking/refilling water, charging my phone/GPS (yep, I brought the travel charger), and then packed up for the return trip. Left the beach around 1:15pm and headed straight for Boston Light, then straight through the middle of the Brewsters and clear across to Nahant. Picked up Red 2, came around the point, and then picked up speed for the final 3 mile push back to Swampscott Pier, landing on the beach at precisely 3:59pm (my coworkers had bet me that I wouldn't make it back by 4:00 )

All in all, an absolutely fantastic day -- under such ideal conditions, one might have paddled all the way to Provincetown...hmm...

Matt :)

201206622 Swampscott To Hull

201206622 Hull To Swampscott