Nahant to Hull Crossing, 6/22

mattdrayer

I'm not a huge fan of announcing daring events publicly before they actually happen, but oh well, here goes:

I'm *considering* making a crossing from Nahant to Hull on Friday, 6/22 and would love for an adventurous soul or two (or eight!) to join me.

Current itinerary is a put-in at 8am at Swampscott Pier, heading straight across the bay to the end of Nahant, then off to Graves Light, pick up Outer Brewster, on to the tip of Hull and then down Nantasket Beach to the destination. Distance one-way is approximately 15 miles and the pace will be on the quick side (4.5-5.0mph, ~3h30m). I'm not sure at this time about making a return crossing -- it will depend on how the weather unfolds on Friday -- at this time my wife is planning to rendezvous with me @ the beach for a ride back to Marblehead.

I've been keeping an eye on the wind/weather all week -- it's not looking like a 100% ideal day (how lucky would that be!), but conditions appear to be trending positively at this time.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/marblehead_preston_beach:(better readings for Nahant Bay than Swampscott Pier, imho)

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/east_of_boston_buoy

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/hull

I'm not concerned about the distance or pace, but this trip would be my first time paddling through the Graves and Brewster Islands areas. I have done several sailing races in the Outer Harbor, so I'm familiar with the landmarks, but the perspective is obviously a bit different from a sailboat.

If you're interested let me know. I'm also open to people telling me this trip is totally crazy and that I shouldn't do it because of ships, sharks, the Kraken, etc. Would be quite an adventure, though :)

Matt

I'm not concerned about the distance or pace, but this trip would be my first time paddling through the Graves and Brewster Islands areas. I have done several sailing races in the Outer Harbor, so I'm familiar with the landmarks, but the perspective is obviously a bit different from a sailboat.

It's a great area, I would be much less worried in a kayak than in a boat that has a real draft. I hope that you have a great trip. I very much enjoy paddling from City Point to the Graves light, it makes a nice lunch spot.

-Jason

Wilbur Gwynn's brother Brad prefers this route to the Graves and has met a group I was part of at least once (at the Graves). The big difference is that there are no take outs as there are from Winthrop or City Point (to the Graves). You might want to wish for marginal weather to reduce the boat traffic. Best of luck.

Weather forecast is currently looking fantastic, so at this time the excursion is still on -- conditions are predicted to be so good, actually, that the return crossing is a strong possibility as well (vs. the aforementioned ride home)..