Monomoy tern census volunteers

The National Fish and Wildlife Service is looking for volunteers to help with their annual tern census at Monomoy.

Here's their press release. Contact Kate at Kate_Iaquinto@fws.gov if you're interested:

It's time to start signing up for the tern census. Please let me know as soon as possible if you are able and willing to help out on June 15th, 16th, or 17th.

Since it falls on a weekend this year we will likely have more volunteers than we can take, so the sooner you sign up the better. Please contact me if you would like to volunteer or if you know someone who is interested. Spaces will fill up quickly, let me know as soon as possible if you or a staff member of yours would like to help. Limited space is available for overnight guests and spaces will be given on a first come first serve basis. Feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any questions. Please feel free to share this invite with others who I may have accidentally left off this list.

Need ~10-15 volunteers to assist each day; census involves an intense survey to count all of the tern and laughing gull nests on the north tip of South Monomoy; the census usually takes 2-3 days to complete, but we allow a longer window to account for weather dependent conditions, the amount of volunteers we have available, and how many nests the terns lay. Most of the survey work will take place in the beginning of this window.

Notes - requires a good amount of walking; bring water, lunch, sunscreen and dress for field conditions (long pants, hat, sunglasses, comfortable sturdy footwear), which will include walking through tall grass and areas of poison ivy and ticks; also bring hip waders (if you have them) or water shoes for getting on and off the boat. Wear old clothing that you don't mind getting messy!

Please contact me if you have any questions!

Kate E. Iaquinto, Wildlife Biologist

U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge

(508) 945-0594 Ext. 13 - Office Phone

(978) 580-0616 - Cell Phone