3/25 New Castle Island Circumnavigation

cfolster

This was an AMC paddle cross posted to the NSPN site. It was a delightful day for paddling (that means no sun for me!). 7 of us put in at Witches Bridge in Odiorne State Park around 11am and set off with Bill V. leading the way. We meandered over by Leach's and Pest for a quick pit stop and then continued on under the causeway and into the Piscataqua headed east. We saw a female Eider and a plastic owl (yes it was a quiet trip). We continued on down the river to Fort Constitution, cut under the bridge and then around the point and through the eddy off Portsmouth Harbor Light. Next up was a stop for lunch near Fort Point, which we ate in a field of newly growing pitch pines planted to reclaim area that was previously cleared. We joked about heading out to Whaleback or Wood, but I don't know that anyone was up to that on this somewhat cold day that was a first paddle of the season for a few. So, we headed out into the ocean, battled the incoming tide a bit as we headed towards the breakwater, which I for one was glad to turn around and head in! From there we headed back to the launch site as a light mist was just starting to fall. Before landing, Bill did a roll, and I put on goggles and noseplug and tried my first roll in anything but pool water and freaked out underwater so Bill pulled me back up (thanks!). Have to work on that, I guess.

It was a great day and a great start to the season!

Approx 5.6 nautical miles

Cathy, thank you for a great trip report! And Jerry, thank you for the great pictures. It was an excellent way to begin the paddling season, great conditions, great leadership (Jerry and Bill) and great paddling buddies. Now if I could only find my paddlers' body from last season! Hopefully, it will reappear from it's winter hibernation before the kayak camping trip to Jewell Island.

Warren

Before landing, Bill did a roll, and I put on goggles and noseplug and tried my first roll in anything but pool water and freaked out underwater so Bill pulled me back up (thanks!). Have to work on that, I guess.

I appreciated the company. I sometimes get lonely when I'm the only person who practices their roll on a trip.

The rescue was nothing. Don't worry, you'll be rolling in cold water in no time.

It was a very nice trip, and I was very happy to have so many NSPN paddlers attend. Thanks to everyone who attended.

-Bill

Cathy, thank you for a great trip report! And Jerry, thank you for the great pictures. It was an excellent way to begin the paddling season, great conditions, great leadership (Jerry and Bill) and great paddling buddies. Now if I could only find my paddlers' body from last season! Hopefully, it will reappear from it's winter hibernation before the kayak camping trip to Jewell Island.

Warren

Warren, your back. So glad to see you in the paddle again!

Doug