NSPN Cold Water Workshop

rylevine

Scott Camlin and Suz Hutchinson will be conducting the yearly cold water event this year on Nov. 6. This will be a workshop done as a "learning on the go" style paddle as was done for the Spring CAM workshops on the water.

• Review of cold water physiology and clothing; recognizing hypothermia;

• Dunk tests

• Rescues and tows (cold water version of last spring)

• Group scenarios; CAM/leadership issues related to cold water;

• Warm up practice (on-water and on-shore)

• Indoors debrief (if we can find a place nearby to where we will be paddling.)

Our launch will be planned as we get closer to the event. It will depend on wind/weather conditions. Most likely we will plan this near/on Cape Ann or perhaps Ipswich. Any updates to the trip will be posted to the NSPN website and the evening before we will post the location depending on the weather. More information will also be posted on the calendar.

The paddling will be within level 2 guidelines on NSPN.

We would like volunteers (one per 3-4 participants) so that we will not need to limit participants. Please contact Bob if you would like to volunteer.

If you are interested in using a drysuit for the day, Suz will bring Kokatat demo suits. They will be available on a first come/first serve basis. When rsvp'ing let Suz know if you are hoping to use a drysuit and what size you think you are so she can make note:

http://www.kokatat.com/sizing_mens.asp

http://www.kokatat.com/sizing_womens.asp

If planning to use a drysuit, please bring form fitting fleece to wear underneath, wool/fleece socks and closed shoes that can be worn OVER the drysuit sock and your socks. Fleece jackets are too bulky to go underneath a drysuit.

Please bring any gloves/hoods/hats/shoes that you have that are extra so that if someone else is missing an article of clothing, they can borrow.

RSVP - suz@kayakne.com

Volunteers please also PM or email rylevine@comcast.net

Please include CWW in the subject line for either Suz or Bob. Thanks!

Bob

Hey Bob,

I should be able to attend and help out, as before.

Glad we could resuscitate this CWW.

Thanks,

Ern

Can you e-mail me? I lost all my e-mail addresses when doing a sync between Iphone and Outlook for Mac. So w/o addresses, I can not do any communications to the volunteers.

suz at kayakne dot com

• 2 weeks later...

I will be there as well Suz.

I have 4 people that want to attend, perhaps more after today.

I will find out the dry suit tally (haves and have nots) and have the have nots contact you. :coco:

Doug

I will be there as well Suz.

I have 4 people that want to attend, perhaps more after today.

I will find out the dry suit tally (haves and have nots) and have the have nots contact you. :coco:

Doug

My understandings is everybody needs to RSVP.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update - here is the latest list of both volunteers and participants. Tomorrow or Wed I will be e-mailing directly to all involved information on where we will be launching from, launch time and what to expect/bring. If you don't appear on the list below and you are planning on joining us, please e-mail me right away. If you do not, you won't have any of the launch specifics e-mailed to you.

When I send that out, I will expect back a RSVP with emergency contact information, what boat you will be paddling and what your level of experience is in general. I need this information in order to be able to file my float plan. Please respond promptly so that I can have all paperwork in order prior to our trip.

Let's hope for warmer weather than we had this past weekend! If we were scheduled for this yesterday, I would have cancelled for sure!

List of participants:

Julie Casson

Sherry Smith

Bill Voss

Dee Cleary

Rogger Puma

Tom Faulkner

Jim Delp

Bill Hudgens

Cathy Folster

Robert Folster

List of Volunteers: