North Shore Kayaks

risingsn

Is anyone paddling an Atlantic or Polar. I'd be interested to see a review. I've read the reviews @ paddling.net & know I need to paddle it...but I'm just curios.

Thanks,

Chuck

I demoed the Polar last year at CRCK. (The Atlantic was too big for me - 5'6" 120 lb.) Here's what I wrote at the time: "I then paddled the Polar. It was an acceptable kayak but not very much different than my Avocet, and somewhat less comfy. It had a very low flat foredeck which seemed to me to be unlikely to fare well in heavy seas - but I can't say so with authority."

I remember that I didn't very much care for it and didn't stay in it for long before moving on to other kayaks that I found more suited to my body and tastes.

kate

In August I demo'ed both the Polar and Atlantic LV and bought the LV. I had a hard time making up my mind because both fit me very well (130lbs) and a female employee about my size loved the Polar and a somewhat larger (but my height) male liked the Atlantic. I traded in a Avocet Roto and like the LV much better so far. I saw some reviews if these boats in last year's Canoe Kayak Boat Book.

Nancy

In August I demo'ed both the Polar and Atlantic LV and bought the LV. I had a hard time making up my mind because both fit me very well (130lbs) and a female employee about my size loved the Polar and a somewhat larger (but my height) male liked the Atlantic. I traded in a Avocet Roto and like the LV much better so far. I saw some reviews if these boats in last year's Canoe Kayak Boat Book.

Nancy

Oh... my height is about 5' 6.5"

Chuck,

Here is what the Boat Book says about the Polar:

The expedition-capable Polar is loosely based on the southwest Greenland form, with hard chine and noticable rocker, the hull is quick yet very responsive to edging for maneuverability and course correction. A clipper bow fibes a dry ride and the retractable skeg keeps you on track in quartering seas. I only had it on the Charles, but I paddled it twice and loved the way it fit and felt. It was slightly longer and more expedition-capable than I feel I need so I went with the shorter/lighter boat. the Polar is L: 16.9, W:21.5; 53 pounds.

My Avocet was not low volume, and I was way too small for that boat. I fit the Atlantic LV (and the Polar) much better.

The Atlantic it says... "The combination of shallow-V hull and soft chine provides the perfect blend of speed, responsiveness and predictability...

The Polar felt more "tippy" with the hard chine, but I found it to be a very comfy boat at my height and weight. Didn't fit me as tight at the Atlantic LV, but it rolled easily and was maneuverable. I had been looking at Tide Race Excite S before I saw these boats. The price was much better being a demo (they had already sold their Tide Races)

Hi Chuck,

I am paddling an Atlantic LV. I am 5'9" & 150lbs and the boat fits me beautifully. I have had it for one year and it has pushed my skill level (i previously paddled a wilderness system shenai- 17'5"). The Atlantic LV is maneuverable and responsive and corrects easily. I find that it tracks well, although I am still struggling a bit with a beam sea. It is fairly quick in chop and handles surf well (better than me, in fact). It rolls pretty easily as well. One review I have reads: "'It held its own in the choppy waters [of Mexico]", 'noting its hyper-responsive characteristics compared to a Necky Chatham 16.' "It turns much better, and as soon as you cranked it over it'd go, regardless of whether you were on top of a wave or in its trough. But in terms of holding the edge while turning, you need to have the active blade all the time- quite good for a proficient paddler, maybe not, if you're not so comfortable out there." and "With a noticeable decrease in volume from North Shores's popular Atlantic, the clean and solidly built LV was well-suited to our testers under 170 lbs, most so to advanced paddlers, who praised the surfing and play abilities of its semi-planing hull." Hope that helps! let me know if you have any other questions.