October 15th Bangs & Crow on Casco Bay CANCELLED!

Rob Hazard

MITA is holding several cleanups along the coast this month and next, ending with Casco Bay on October 15th. I'd like to pitch in by doing some work on the 2 islands we adopted as a club. Anyone like to come along?

This could be either a day trip or an overnight. If some want to stay over and others want to head in, we could have 2 groups.

The launching site will be Cousins Island in Yarmouth. Handy things to bring along will be work gloves, trash bags, clippers, and I'm not sure what else.

As usual for this time of year, the trip will depend on good paddling weather. The round trip distance is just shy of 12 nm, most of it in fairly sheltered water.

I realize this date is a good ways off, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get it on the calendar early.

Interested?

Rob

Due to NOAA forecast of winds 15 - 25kts with gusts over 30 its both Saturday and Sunday, this outing is CANCELED.

I will be out of state until Saturday night. Maybe I will paddle out on Sunday to wake everyone up! :-)

MITA is holding several cleanups along the coast this month and next, ending with Casco Bay on October 15th. I'd like to pitch in by doing some work on the 2 islands we adopted as a club. Anyone like to come along?

This could be either a day trip or an overnight. If some want to stay over and others want to head in, we could have 2 groups.

The launching site will be Cousins Island in Yarmouth. Handy things to bring along will be work gloves, trash bags, clippers, and I'm not sure what else.

As usual for this time of year, the trip will depend on good paddling weather. The round trip distance is just shy of 12 nm, most of it in fairly sheltered water.

I realize this date is a good ways off, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get it on the calendar early.

Interested?

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the date is drawing near. Who wants to come along for an overnight on Casco Bay and do some volunteer cleanup for MITA?

My reading of the Tidal Current Table for Broad Sound West of Eagle Island on Saturday, October 15th is:

Low Slack 0843

Max Flood 1056 +0.9

High Slack 1413

Max Ebb 1721 -1.4

Sunset at Portland: 1758

And for Sunday the 16th:

Sunrise at Portland: 0656

Low slack 0926

Max Flood 1140 +0.9

High Slack 1451

Max Ebb 1806 -1.5

So, the tides on Saturday are less than ideal for paddling out if we want to get in some serious trash picking, but if we stay overnight we can do some more work Sunday morning before riding the flood tide back to the launch.

It's too early to get a read on the weather yet. But it's not too early to plan!

I will be out of state until Saturday night. Maybe I will paddle out on Sunday to wake everyone up! :-)

Hi Rene,

Let me know if you are still planning to paddle out on sunday. I'd join you.

Barry.

Brian from MITA said they will send a skiff out to Bangs on Saturday with a crew to help and to haul away what we gather. I assume if we stay over and keep working Sunday they'll get back out when they can to pick up whatever else we collect. I also intend to cross post to SMSKN to see if anyone up there wants to come along.

How about launch time? Ten? Eleven? This time of year it's good to make use of what daylight we have, but if we're staying over it's less of an issue.

I would tend to lean toward 10'oclock to help insure we have time to make ourselves useful... esp if they are going to send out a skiff.

NOAA is giving a rather dire prediction for SW winds this weekend on Casco Bay. Let's keep an eye on it. I'm not into Death Wish paddling!

If the forecast hasn't changed for the better by tomorrow evening, I will cancel the trip and look for an alternate weekend.

Rob

The weather forecast for this weekend is getting worse and worse! NOAA is now predicting winds of 15 to 25 knots with gusts over 30 knots for both days.

I am, therefore, CANCELLING the event.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to come along. We'll do it again some time. (Brian at MITA says it's too late in the year for them to reschedule the Cleanup weekend.)

Cheers,

Rob