Hampton, Monday 8/29

Big Jaguar Shark

Anyone up for some surfing tomorrow night at the usual Hampton spot? Looks like nice weather with some swell leftover from Irene. Swellwatch says 3-4 feet at 9 seconds.

Not sure about making it on Monday....but I am planning on tues around 5 .....seeing similar conditions predicted.....low tide is 6:46 on Tues.

At Hampton Beach today MONDAY:

Swell

4.5ft @ 9secs

Wind

7mph

Temperature

Sea 64°f Air 72°f

HAMPTON / SEABROOK Surf Session TUESDAY NIGHT ... ON

FOR TOMORROW (TUESDAY)

Swell Wind

4.5ft 9secs 5mph

Swell Components

4.9ft 9secs

4.7ft 9secs

1.1ft 17secs

Breaking Wave Estimate

7ft Overhead THIS COULD BE SERIOUS

That looks serious indeed. I see 4 foot swells predicted and think that means there will be 4 foot breaking waves. Obviously, I'm wrong and there's something else going on that I'm unaware of. Doug, can you tell me where you got the info about the breaking wave height so I can educate myself?

That looks serious indeed. I see 4 foot swells predicted and think that means there will be 4 foot breaking waves. Obviously, I'm wrong and there's something else going on that I'm unaware of. Doug, can you tell me where you got the info about the breaking wave height so I can educate myself?

The swell period has a great effect on how swells turn into breaking waves. A 4' swell with a period of 9 sec will produce bigger waves than a 4' swell with a period of 4 sec. The reason is that the longer the period of a swell....the more (moving) water it contains...so when it piles up into the shallows...it stands up higher....and with more power.

magic seaweed dot com

Another paddling opportunity popped up with one of my friends. Looks like I'm going to sit out tomorrow's surfing and do something a bit milder. I'm not sure I want to surf 7 foot waves at a beach that's likely to be crowded with swimmers. I hope you guys have fun.

Well, I'm not so sure that 7' waves will actually materialize. Cinnimon Rainbows is showing waves of less than 4' tonight. But, in any case, have an enjoyable paddle and we'll see you another time

I've missed you guys this summer. Am trying desperately to catch high tide today, but would also like to do this... Come watch, hang, catch a couple babies maybe -- ya know? I have a new (used) play boat that I just picked up yesterday...

Yes Sal, waves appear to be chest high now and getting smaller throughout the day but water tems reported from 57 on Magic Seaweed to 60 from Cinnamon Rainbows.

See you tonight.

Doug