roof racks are being targeted

doctorj33

Hi I recently reported my roof rack was taken off my car in my driveway. The police said it was the second one this week. Make that three. I just read in the Salem news that another one was taken in salem. I now run a cable though and around my rack (30 feet) then I lock it to my car underneath. Also my flood light is on all night. Next week I am going to install a motion detector light for the yard. It cost a 1000 dollars to replace what I had.

Jim Jellison

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I recently reported my roof rack was taken off my car in my driveway. The police said it was the second one this week. Make that three. I just read in the Salem news that another one was taken in salem. I now run a cable though and around my rack (30 feet) then I lock it to my car underneath. Also my flood light is on all night. Next week I am going to install a motion detector light for the yard. It cost a 1000 dollars to replace what I had.

Jim Jellison

Thanks for sharing Jim. What is this world coming to. Has anybody lost their Thule kayak carriers? I've been taking mine off while in the water.

Sorry to hear the news of your rack. That's terrible. When I bought my thule kayak rack for my honda civic, I immediately bought a cable lock from a motorcycle supply store (online). I've been using this lock for 4 years now and it's only a few minutes to put on and take off. I just leave it up locked whenever I'm on the water or my car is in the driveway. I haven't had any issues.

My best guess is the cable lock is about 12 to 15 feet in length.

Jim Jellison

I've used the Yakima system for years: the racks themselves (posts and bars) have locks built in. Many but not all of the attachments can also be locked to the bar. Yakima sells lock cores in sets, so you can get enough for all your gear and the rack itself keyed to one key.

See: http://www.yakima.com/shop/rack-systems/ for photos.

While on the subject of locking, I learned something from Joel at NESC this past weekend: the Lasso brand cable locks for kayaks come in two sizes: touring kayaks and tandem kayaks. Needless to say, the tandem has larger loops at the ends, so they will not work for a touring kayak.

Scott