First full-moon paddle of the season...

Pintail

DebD, June, Liz, Pru and I left Lanes Cove just after 1900 last night, accompanied by perfect weather, a land breeze and swells (that increased markedly around Halibut and Andrews Points -- especially the latter). They were of long periodicity and indeterminate height; it made for lovely paddling, though, as we neared Rockport.

It was such a beautiful evening to be on the water: some sort of recital taking place in the Shalin Liu Music Centre, several yachts anchored off Front Beach -- just gorgeous! So we thought...until, on cue, at eight-thirty (well, 2028 was the official time) Deb spotted the full moon rising in the southeast -- it was <spectacular>! We simply floated on Sandy Bay, totally absorbed. The moon appeared <huge> and very Gloucester cheese-coloured (no, they don't make cheese in <this> Gloucester)! It was a wonderful experience.

We paddled slowly back to Lanes Cove as the stars came out and enjoyed the swells and the wind; it was nearly 2230 when we climbed out of our boats.

Nothing too exciting; nothing too strenuous -- just a perfect summer night on the ocean.

(If anyone should be totally anal: we know that, technically, that was not the full moon -- <that> was in the wee, small hours of Friday morning; but please overlook that. In any case, this was the "Nearly-full-moon paddle" or somesuch...)

It's great to hear you had a beautiful night and great paddle. Sorry for standing you folks up. I hope you didn't hang around waiting. I left for Maine very early Tues. and didn't see the change of date. Then on Friday I was still so enraptured by my first Maine paddling/camping expedition that I was busy replaying the tape during all the unpacking, rinsing and cleaning, forgetting all else until this morning when I suddenly remembered the moonlight paddle. So I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll watch for the next one.

Blaine

Thanks so much for arranging, Pintail.

It was worth the TWO HOUR bumper to bumper Fri-aft-in-summer traffic to join you.

And I keep remembering the bits of phosphorescence dripping off of everyone's paddles as we paddled under the moon.

pru