Not-quite-full-moon paddle...

Pintail

How about this coming Saturday night, at Lanes Cove? Shall we paddle?

It would be perhaps more convenient than Friday (I have to work Saturdays) since one can catch up on sleep on Sunday morning if we stay out really late...well, these things seem to go on until all hours, what with strapping the boat back on the car and getting out of damp clothing, right?

I suggest meeting at Lanes Cove (I generally park at top of cove; but there is also parking next to the more-easterly sea wall) at 1830 for a 1900 departure. Participants may decide our direction -- big decision: east or west!

Water temperature is coming up: it is <so nice> at present!

Anyone interested? Post here...

Pintail,

I'm very interested. Should be a fun outing. Will confirm later in the week when I get back from a trip to Maine.

Blaine

What kind of light does one need on one's person? or boat? for a moonlight paddle?

Different people will do different things, but you certainly don't need full nautical lights in all the appropriate colors. In fact, Christopher recommends against the full nautical lights, since it can trick traffic into thinking you're a much bigger boat than you really are.

A bright headlamp or flashlight which you can turn on and point to indicate the bow and stern of your boat to show exactly what you are to any oncoming traffic, plus a not-too-bright continuous LED light or glow-stick that you can affix to your boat or your person so other kayakers can identify you and see where you are, is plenty.

Blaine, June and Pru: shall we make it a Friday night bash, then? Since Liz will be available that night...I'm easy. Please indicate here if feasible...

I'll join you Friday night ! July 15th Lanes Cove ! Yippee!

Deb

Different people will do different things, but you certainly don't need full nautical lights in all the appropriate colors. In fact, Christopher recommends against the full nautical lights, since it can trick traffic into thinking you're a much bigger boat than you really are.

A bright headlamp or flashlight which you can turn on and point to indicate the bow and stern of your boat to show exactly what you are to any oncoming traffic, plus a not-too-bright continuous LED light or glow-stick that you can affix to your boat or your person so other kayakers can identify you and see where you are, is plenty.

Stupid question, but....where does one get a glowstick? I have headlamp/flashlight, but not a low-light somethingorother to have on at all times...

pru

At any marine shop, Pru. There are a couple of sizes available: the ones you need are about 3 or 4 inches long. (Smaller ones I would use for illuminating a compass)

The only lights <I> carry are, indeed, a head lamp for shining at any traffic we might encounter and for general use in getting on and off the water. Someone (above) recalled my habits (likes/dislikes) and they were spot-on!

In any case, we shall be paddling by moonlight! ;^)

At any marine shop, Pru. There are a couple of sizes available: the ones you need are about 3 or 4 inches long. (Smaller ones I would use for illuminating a compass)

The only lights <I> carry are, indeed, a head lamp for shining at any traffic we might encounter and for general use in getting on and off the water. Someone (above) recalled my habits (likes/dislikes) and they were spot-on!

In any case, we shall be paddling by moonlight! ;^)

Assuming I'll be able to fight the traffic to make it up to Lane's Cove by 6:30, any chance anyone would have a spare glow stick? No way I'll be able to make it to a marine store between now and tomorrow.

pru

Stupid question, but....where does one get a glowstick? pru

Pru, try calling your local Michael's craft store. In the past they have sold a cylinder of 15 skinny, 4" sticks. They can be taped fore and aft, or crafted into bracelets or necklaces with the little "couplers". Not available to order on-line, but individual stores may carry them. At $1-$3/cylinder, this is a bahgin!

gary

What kind of light does one need on one's person? or boat? for a moonlight paddle?

Pru

Pru, Yes, different ways to use lights while night paddling.

I prefer:

glo-sticks; one tethered to the rear toggle, and one tethered to the back of the helmet or hat (in case you swim, you're visible)

Some kind of waterproof headlamp or flashlight tethered / at the ready on the pfd, kept off, but can be turned on if needed (reading a chart, a rescue etc).

A possible alternative to the headlamp is having that helmet glo stick on a longer tether so you can put it where you want it (over your shoulder etc) and then deploy it if you need to read . I've never done this but i've seen it done and it looks effective.

White lights are problematic on night paddles as they mess with your night vision. the green glo sticks are more eye friendly, but provide needed visibility.

Pru, Yes, different ways to use lights while night paddling.

I prefer:

glo-sticks; one tethered to the rear toggle, and one tethered to the back of the helmet or hat (in case you swim, you're visible)

Some kind of waterproof headlamp or flashlight tethered / at the ready on the pfd, kept off, but can be turned on if needed (reading a chart, a rescue etc).

A possible alternative to the headlamp is having that helmet glo stick on a longer tether so you can put it where you want it (over your shoulder etc) and then deploy it if you need to read . I've never done this but i've seen it done and it looks effective.

White lights are problematic on night paddles as they mess with your night vision. the green glo sticks are more eye friendly, but provide needed visibility.

You might think of moving that glo stick to the front toggle as you wont' see it your self and when your rescuing someone it's a help to know where the front of the boat is.

-Jason

So, it looks as though we shall be a group comprising the following: Blaine, June, Liz, Pocky, la Prudencia e la Signora Deborah -- oh, plus self. Looking forwards to seeing you all at Lanes Cove soon after 1830 (no rush): moonrise occurs at 2028 (call it half-past eight), as long as clouds do not interfere...

Temperatures of the seawater are warmer than usual: I shall be dressed accordingly. Recent paddling has been <luvverly>!

See you later! (Anyone else, I wonder?)

Roughly what time do you think we'd be off the water tonight? Not sure yet whether I can make it (the fri afternoon rush hour traffic brawl/crawl up to Cape Ann a bit of a disincentive)but would like to know time parameters. Thanks - pru

It should be up to the participants, Pru, so whatever suits you...we can make it back whenever you please. As for getting <on> the water, as I wrote earlier, we'll wait for you if need be.

If you need to call en route (traffic problems or otherwise), my number is (978)two-three-nine. 33 seven six.

It should be up to the participants, Pru, so whatever suits you...we can make it back whenever you please. As for getting <on> the water, as I wrote earlier, we'll wait for you if need be.

If you need to call en route (traffic problems or otherwise), my number is (978)two-three-nine. 33 seven six.

Thanks - I have no specific time I need to be back, just wanting a ball park. Thanks for your cell # - my plan now - unless work goes completely haywire today - is to join you all - but will call if it looks as though I'm being badly delayed. pru

Alas, I'm doing a full-moon bike ride tonight leaving from Somerville instead -- much easier commute for me!

I'm going up to Gloucester tomorrow, though! Nobody wants to do tomorrow night (or day) *too*, do they? :)

Alas, I'm doing a full-moon bike ride tonight leaving from Somerville instead -- much easier commute for me!

I'm going up to Gloucester tomorrow, though! Nobody wants to do tomorrow night (or day) *too*, do they? :)

If anybody else wants to go tonight (Saturday) Sue and I would be interested. We've never paddled in moonlight but have wanted to. About how far would it be(need to decide between singles and tandem).