Solstice Party Paddle Level 2+ June 25

Rob Hazard

Solstice Party Paddle Level 2+ Saturday, June 25

Riverhead Beach, Marblehead to Salem Willows and Return

Beach Briefing at 10:00

Launch at 10:30

Return mid afternoon.

Last year The Solstice Paddle Level 2+ was divided into 2 groups and we may do the same thing this year, depending on weather and group size. I will lead one group which will launch from Riverhead Beach and proceed up the west shore of Marblehead Harbor, then follow the shore around to Salem Harbor, where we will make the crossing of the harbor mouth and land at Salem Willows for lunch. We will then return by the same route, unless we decide to follow the shore line and make a shorter harbor crossing.

If we decide to divide the fleet in two second group may paddle out of Marblehead Harbor and cross over to Children's Island and play along the shore there before returning.

Please respond here if you'd like to join us.

Cheers,

Rob

Just to clarify: The date of this, and the other Solstice Party Paddles is SATURDAY, JUNE 25th.

(I only mention this because an alert fellow NSPN member asked me whether I was really scheduling an all day paddle on a Tuesday...)

<_<

Rob

H Rob.

If the weather doesn't get us and my old body stays together, I am looking forward to helping with the 2+ trip. Not in shape to be "the head facilitator", but can always be the designated speed-bump for the Salem Ferry.

Al

Hi Rob,

Sue and I would like to take part in one of the Solstice paddles but we think that the Salem Willows trip might be too far. The run to Children's Island it would be well within our comfort zone. We could do a Willows route in our tandem but both of us are dying to use our new singles (Delta 15.5 and NC 15).

The level 2 paddle wouldn't be long enough for us to play much. BTW We have limited sea kayaking experience (12 trips all in the tandem) but regularly paddle 9-10 miles on flatwater. What do you think? I realize any decision would be dependent on wind/water conditions.

Tim

Hi Rob,

Sue and I would like to take part in one of the Solstice paddles but we think that the Salem Willows trip might be too far. The run to Children's Island it would be well within our comfort zone. We could do a Willows route in our tandem but both of us are dying to use our new singles (Delta 15.5 and NC 15).

The level 2 paddle wouldn't be long enough for us to play much. BTW We have limited sea kayaking experience (12 trips all in the tandem) but regularly paddle 9-10 miles on flatwater. What do you think? I realize any decision would be dependent on wind/water conditions.

Tim

Rob mentioned Humboldt Fog surely because he wants ME to be there. (Its a Bromance kind of thing) but then again that doesnt make sense because I'll be there anyway, Humboldt Fog or no. I'll bring some French bread on which I will spread liberal quantities of Rob's Humboldt Fog.

Tim and Sue, we can sort out on the beach which trip is best for you. Children's is more of an open crossing, neither trip plans to go farther than the other and it depends on the conditions that day and expectations of the group. But one trip or theother will be right for you.

Rob just wants to watch the look on Peter's face as Rob chomps down the last mouthful of Humboldt Fog. Of course Peter, as the August President of NSPN, could officially declare Humboldt Fog to be the OFFICIAL CHEESE of NSPN.

For those who are seriously interested in the Level 2+ trip, I'll describe it briefly.

We'll leave from Riverhead Beach, Marblehead, and paddle up the west shore of the harbor, taking care to stay out of the boat channel that runs fairly close to the west side, until we reach Ft Sewall Pt. There we will take a moment to assess the conditions before proceeding.

From there we will head north around Peaches Pt following the shore before crossing Salem Harbor to Winter Island, just north of the power plant. Then we will follow the shore again to Salem Willows, where we will land for lunch before returning by the same route.

If the weather is clear we may leave the shoreline and take a more direct course to Juniper Pt, or if the weather is thicker or rougher we may follow the shore farther into Salem Harbor for a shorter, easier crossing. In years past we have used Great Aquavitae Ledge as a waypoint on our crossing of Salem Harbor.

The total distance round trip is between 7-1/2 and 8 nautical miles. The 2 crossings and the possibility of ocean swells from the southeast raise the rating to a 2+.

A reminder to all participants:

This is a CAM trip. You are responsible to the group to come prepared. Please show up with PFD, sprayskirt, and properly dressed for weather and water temp. Bring food and water. Check the weather forecast to be sure the conditions predicted are within your paddling ability. If you have a chart of the Marblehead/Salem area please familiarize yourself with it and bring it along.

See you on the beach at 10:00.

cheers,

Rob

The current forecast (8:45 PM) is for winds NE at 5-10 kts, seas 2-4 ft. Wetsand predicts swells 2ft from the east at 6 sec period. If all this holds we'll feel the wind first as we move up the harbor, then the swells will become apparent before we reach Ft Sewall Pt. We can decide how comfortable we are with the conditions there before we commit to going around to Salem.

See you all in the morning.

Cheers,

Rob

The current forecast (8:45 PM) is for winds NE at 5-10 kts, seas 2-4 ft. Wetsand predicts swells 2ft from the east at 6 sec period.

Current forecast (4:20am) is for thundershowers this morning. Rain date?

I'm watching the radar loop now (0615). There's a nasty looking one just south of Worcester that seems headed toward Salem. Once that's past us, things look better.

I'll keep an eye on the radar until it's time to leave (0830) and be at the beach as planned. We can decide there.

I'm watching the radar loop now (0615). There's a nasty looking one just south of Worcester that seems headed toward Salem. Once that's past us, things look better.

I'll keep an eye on the radar until it's time to leave (0830) and be at the beach as planned. We can decide there.

Rob, I think I am bailing due to a lot of work and less than great weather. I was going to bring the stickers at 3 for the potluck. Would you rather I drive out this morning to drop them off?

Nancy

OH, come for the potluck! :th_thCampingSmiley:

Okay! I'll bring a little food and drink. Anything really needed? Feel bad for bailing but I am so behind in many work-related things and need to catch up. It is pouring rain here in Ipswich right now.