wandering to Isle au Haut

spider

Leaving from Old Quarry Campground up in Maine for a 2 night 3 day practice finding our way around, through the islands over to Isle au Haut and thereabouts.

Here is a link (I hope) to the SPOT site where I put some photos and the route..though with no text as yet thought I would write some here.

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=258809

Pictures are from my friend Philippe from Quebec..since he was the one with the camera...I tend to get "pictured" a few times. I think by now I have him pretty convinced we all look the same in the "states". Mango suit...white beard...with memories of youth trailing along, days of dreams and remembrances not far behind.

Leaving a float plan with Cap't Bill we push off in mid Wed afternoon working our way somewhat counter clockwise. Paddling south I am reminded again to believe the compass not the confusing array of islands that present their own optical illusions as to what is island and what will soon be submerged . We take a glance for Round Island...damn they most all look round to us..must need better glasses !

Our 1st night out...a beautiful small Island..now is the time for the "leave no trace", sanitation conversation. I was unsure if Philippe was getting the full gist of leaving nothing behind. Though I had alluded to it in our correspondence I felt that something "may be getting lost in the translation". I was correct. At first he thought I was fooling him..just making it all up...however once I pointed out we would be knee deep in sh#t if folks just let it be. It all made sense to him. We often see people... poop scooping.. cleaning up after their dogs. Same concept different dawgs... woof...woof.

(just glad we don't greet people the same way they do)

Moving on to the frolicking wildlife...

Spider,

I would love to view the pictures. The link doesn't seem to be working though...

Rene

Leaving from Old Quarry Campground up in Maine for a 2 night 3 day practice finding our way around, through the islands over to Isle au Haut and thereabouts.

Here is a link (I hope) to the SPOT site where I put some photos and the route..though with no text as yet thought I would write some here.

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=258809

Pictures are from my friend Philippe from Quebec..since he was the one with the camera...I tend to get "pictured" a few times. I think by now I have him pretty convinced we all look the same in the "states". Mango suit...white beard...with memories of youth trailing along, days of dreams and remembrances not far behind.

Leaving a float plan with Cap't Bill we push off in mid Wed afternoon working our way somewhat counter clockwise. Paddling south I am reminded again to believe the compass not the confusing array of islands that present their own optical illusions as to what is island and what will soon be submerged . We take a glance for Round Island...damn they most all look round to us..must need better glasses !

Our 1st night out...a beautiful small Island..now is the time for the "leave no trace", sanitation conversation. I was unsure if Philippe was getting the full gist of leaving nothing behind. Though I had alluded to it in our correspondence I felt that something "may be getting lost in the translation". I was correct. At first he thought I was fooling him..just making it all up...however once I pointed out we would be knee deep in sh#t if folks just let it be. It all made sense to him. We often see people... poop scooping.. cleaning up after their dogs. Same concept different dawgs... woof...woof.

(just glad we don't greet people the same way they do)

Moving on to the frolicking wildlife...

soon to see the sights....

Thursday finds us up early. It is not uncommon for us to travel together during the day but pitch our tents at a distance. The wind came up during the night and my tent flapped and carried on so much I finally grabbed my bivy bag and relocated at 2 am to a more protected spot. It was the first time in a long time that I've had to do that, but sometimes you just need to resolve the situation day or night. I returned to the tent, which collapsed after I had gotten out. Though I had placed rocks inside the tent I added some more on top of it just to be sure, after all most my gear and navigation charts etc. were still in the tent.

On the water nice and early, we weave our way over to Isle au Haut...Thinking in terms of doing a circumnavigation of it..our thoughts are tempered when The severe thunderstorm hail warnings and generally all hell breaking loose some time in the aft or early evening predictions could not be ignored.

We spent leisurely time paddling, taking some touristy pictures of the town and generally poking about.

Working our way along and trying to keep things vague as to one of our "memorable sightings" we eventually... and innocently I might add... stumble upon wildlife refreshing and beautiful that I don't think either of us had seen in a while or at least since I wore a younger mans clothes...or lack thereof.

A young couple seemed pleasant enough with a wave and a smile from their boat anchored in a reclusive bay.

It was a few minutes before we realized that was all they were wearing...and it looked mighty fine on them.

At first we thought oh we are going to ruin their good time by showing up, but fortunately they seemed happy enough to continue as though we weren't there, and were all smiles and waves when we parted.

I think for my friend he has seen the much fabled American Woman au natural...yet I kid him.. I always thought it was the French that shed their clothes so readily....

ummm seems like a good ending for now.

I have good luck with the link for the trip but I see it doesn't work for some..

...no we didn't take pictures of the "frolicking couple" ...some things are memories that bring a smile, not soon forgotten.

soon to see the sights....

Thursday finds us up early. It is not uncommon for us to travel together during the day but pitch our tents at a distance. The wind came up during the night and my tent flapped and carried on so much I finally grabbed my bivy bag and relocated at 2 am to a more protected spot. It was the first time in a long time that I've had to do that, but sometimes you just need to resolve the situation day or night. I returned to the tent, which collapsed after I had gotten out. Though I had placed rocks inside the tent I added some more on top of it just to be sure, after all most my gear and navigation charts etc. were still in the tent.

On the water nice and early, we weave our way over to Isle au Haut...Thinking in terms of doing a circumnavigation of it..our thoughts are tempered when The severe thunderstorm hail warnings and generally all hell breaking loose some time in the aft or early evening predictions could not be ignored.

We spent leisurely time paddling, taking some touristy pictures of the town and generally poking about.

Working our way along and trying to keep things vague as to one of our "memorable sightings" we eventually... and innocently I might add... stumble upon wildlife refreshing and beautiful that I don't think either of us had seen in a while or at least since I wore a younger mans clothes...or lack thereof.

A young couple seemed pleasant enough with a wave and a smile from their boat anchored in a reclusive bay.

It was a few minutes before we realized that was all they were wearing...and it looked mighty fine on them.

At first we thought oh we are going to ruin their good time by showing up, but fortunately they seemed happy enough to continue as though we weren't there, and were all smiles and waves when we parted.

I think for my friend he has seen the much fabled American Woman au natural...yet I kid him.. I always thought it was the French that shed their clothes so readily....

ummm seems like a good ending for now.

I have good luck with the link for the trip but I see it doesn't work for some..

...no we didn't take pictures of the "frolicking couple" thought that would be a bit tacky...some things are memories that bring a smile, not soon forgotten.

The link says that it's private - which is why I think we can't get onto it -- pru

thanks... I changed it over to public.

I realized it would always open for me so I couldn't tell if it opened for others...

hope that does the trick