Walden Pond rolling/sculling practice/stupid kayak tricks

Lbeale

These sessions will start next Wednesday, June 15th. I will arrive around 5 and stay until they yell at us to get off the water. For those who attended these sessions last year, it was a blast and I hope to see the same motley crew again -- for new people, the fun will be continued. It is around $35.00 (I think, to join for a year) or $5.00 for a day pass.

So if you want to learn how to roll, practice rescue skills, practice your forward stroke and sculling or, learn how to do stupid kayak tricks--join us.

Les

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These sessions will start next Wednesday, June 15th. I will arrive around 5 and stay until they yell at us to get off the water. For those who attended these sessions last year, it was a blast and I hope to see the same motley crew again -- for new people, the fun will be continued. It is around $35.00 (I think, to join for a year) or $5.00 for a day pass.

So if you want to learn how to roll, practice rescue skills, practice your forward stroke and sculling or, learn how to do stupid kayak tricks--join us.

Les

And I seniors (>=62) get a pass for free -- ask and show you driver's license, or write -- http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parkspass.htm.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the Walden practice sessions. What type of new boat do you have and do you have a spray skirt? If you do not have a spray skirt and if I knew what type of boat you have, I could try to rustle up one for you.

When you arrive at Walden, look for us across the pond at the way end little cove.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the Walden practice sessions. What type of new boat do you have and do you have a spray skirt? If you do not have a spray skirt and if I knew what type of boat you have, I could try to rustle up one for you.

When you arrive at Walden, look for us across the pond at the way end little cove.

I have a CLC 16lt and do have a skirt, see you Wednesday.

I'm planning on joining the Walden group this year, but will have to wait until my torn rib muscles heal up... hopefully within the month.

Eric, I also have a Chesapeake 16 (full size, not the LT)... splashed last May. Did you install a rudder or a skeg when you built yours? I noticed that in a 15+ kt breeze from astern and strong head-current on the Annisquam last year, weather-cocking was a significant issue without one. Thinking about making the change this summer.

~Chris

Sounds great -- thanks for organizing, Les!

I'll be there next week -- can't make today.

--David

Hey,

It will be great to see you next week David. We had a good turn out last night and some real troopers who learned to wet exit and do beginning rolling practice. The water was chilly after a couple of rolls so you may want to think about dressing for immersion - some people were talking about brining their drysuits next week.

Les

Hey,

It will be great to see you next week David. We had a good turn out last night and some real troopers who learned to wet exit and do beginning rolling practice. The water was chilly after a couple of rolls so you may want to think about dressing for immersion - some people were talking about brining their drysuits next week.

Les

Great session last night: some wet, hard-working folks. Awesome cowboys, everybody.

The Beale machine and I agreed: Next week, we'll do an "all in!"

Definitely a great session.

Les looks pretty tall when she stands up in her kayak. :notWorthy: I can hardly wait to see her juggle! :1631:

Peter showed us how to kiss the bow or your kayak. :wub: Apparently he really loves his kayak.

Plus plenty of rolling, assisted rescues, and solo rescue practice. :images-1:

I'm definitely looking forward to future sessions.

-Bill

P.S.

Rick S. My skin on frame was fine for T-rescues of other boats. No issues at all.

I've very glad I went last night learning lots about re-entries. I do think I spent more time in the water than on top, but warm night and the water felt great. Thanks for all your patience.

Hopefully, see you next week