Short Jaunt in Kettle Cove

brambor

Launched solo today in Kettle Cove. It was a beautiful calm day. The wind was not too strong and the sea was friendly. I abandoned the thought of paddling to the outside of Richmond Island once I was getting closer to the outside and saw a few waves breaking. I think I would have been ok but being solo I just did not need to test bad luck. So I just proceeded to paddle towards the beach at Richmond island and took a short break there. The sign said private property but also spoke of staying on marked trails and to ask for permission if you want to camp. I might just try to camp there with my family in the summer.

I took a few photos with my cell phone, had myself some hot coffee from my thermos and a few bites to eat. The island had about 20 sheep grazing on it. It was nice to see.

Paddling back I went around a few breakers in the middle of the cove. This will be a nice practice area in the summer to bring my son to.

All in all I paddled 3.7 miles and felt good to be out there.

Track and a map

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

Launched solo today in Kettle Cove. It was a beautiful calm day. The wind was not too strong and the sea was friendly. I abandoned the thought of paddling to the outside of Richmond Island once I was getting closer to the outside and saw a few waves breaking. I think I would have been ok but being solo I just did not need to test bad luck. So I just proceeded to paddle towards the beach at Richmond island and took a short break there. The sign said private property but also spoke of staying on marked trails and to ask for permission if you want to camp. I might just try to camp there with my family in the summer.

I took a few photos with my cell phone, had myself some hot coffee from my thermos and a few bites to eat. The island had about 20 sheep grazing on it. It was nice to see.

Paddling back I went around a few breakers in the middle of the cove. This will be a nice practice area in the summer to bring my son to.

Track and a map

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

yes, discretion is the better part of valor

Track and a map

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

Anyone know the history of the 0.4 NM breakwater to the Island? This photograph, when zoomed, makes reference to its presence around 1890:

http://www.vintagemaineimages.com/bin/Detail?ln=4157

Other history, excerpted, from my "surf" this snowy afternoon:

"Richmond Island, lying a mile from the southern shore, was the first locality occupied by Europeans on this part of the coast. The first settler was Walter Bagnell (called "Great Walt,") who came here in 1628, occupying the island without a title. His principal purpose appears to have been to drive a profitable trade with the Indians, without much scruple about his methods. At length his cupidity drew down upon him their vengeance and they put an end to his life in October, 1631. Two months later, the council of the Plymouth Company granted the Island and certain other territory to Robert Trelawney and Moses Goodyear, merchants of Plymouth, England, who soon made it the centre of their American trade. The island was convenient to the fishing and coasting business, and it soon became a place of much importance. There is a record that, before 1648, large ships took in cargoes tor Europe there. In 1638 a ship of 300 tons was sent here laden with wine, and the same year Mr. Trelawney employed 60 men in the fisheries. In the following year, Johi Winter, the agent of Trelawney, sent to England, in the bark Richmond, 6,000 pipe-staves. After the death of Winter, about 1648, its business declined, and at the breaking out of the first Indian war came entirely to an end. The island contains about 200 acres, and now constitutes a single farm. In 1637, by the aid of the proprietors, Rev. Richard Gibson, an Episcopal minister, was settled on the island, and the necessary appurtenances of worship in the English form were provided. Mr. Gibson removed to Portsmouth in 1640, and in 1642 lie returned to England. Many years ago an earthern pot was exhumed upon the Island, and within was found a number of gold and silver coins of the 17th century, and a heavy gold signet ring, richly chased, and marked by two initials letters. This ring has given the title to an historical novel by Dr. Hsley, the chief action of which is placed upon this Island." Circa 1886