Belated full-moon paddle?

Pintail

What about another Lanes Cove gig this coming Saturday (31.VII.10)? I think full-moon was two nights ago? So we shall have plenty moonlight, plus likely phosphorescence and warm water.

Shall we pin it at 1900-1930 put-in at the cove? Show interest here, then...

What about another Lanes Cove gig this coming Saturday (31.VII.10)? I think full-moon was two nights ago? So we shall have plenty moonlight, plus likely phosphorescence and warm water.

I'm a tentative yes.

Ern

Yes. I was reminded we didnt do a full paddle this month while aboard the Acela home from NYC last night and a beautiful full moon appeared above the connecticut coastline.

Barry.

Hi Christopher - Lorrie and I are interested. Will update closer to Saturday.

Phil

Hi Everyone,

I haven't paddled with you yet but have paddled some with the South Shore Wild Turkeys- and especially love Cape Ann. But, haven't a lot of endurance- yet.

Are "newbies" invited?

And I'm wondering what the plan is- a gentle, enjoy the moonlight paddle, or something more strenuous?

Thanks!

Barbara

<I'm looking forward to meeting you all. Bill>

Ah, but you won't be meeting <everyone>! Some of us have to work, so have a good time out there, all!

Perhaps it is finally time to meet the elusive Pintail. :D

I'm fine with the time, and the board's Lane Cove put-in directions seem to match my Google maps results. So I should be able to find the put-in.

This will be my first time kayaking at night. I have some scuba diving flashlights which will be fine for emergency use. However, I believe I'm required to bring navigational light(s). Am I correct? What do people generally use? I don't want to bring something too bright, or too dim.

Is there anything else I should bring that I would not always bring during a day trip?

What difficulty level is expected? I was comfortable with the L3 group at the Solstice paddle. However, I would not want anything harder during my first night paddle in an unfamiliar area.

Roughly what time would we expect to return, and what time should my shore contact call the coast guard to report over-due paddlers? :ahand_sos:

Bill

P.S.

Feel free to wave me off if you would rather not have a night virgin on this trip.

Barbara, it looks as though you are not a member of NSPN, so as long as you understand that we paddle according to the CAM idea (ie, responsible for own safety), you'd be welcome. Having said that, there is no one in NSPN who is going to leave you behind or leave you to stew upside-down if you are in difficulties!

I suspect we might go across to the mouth of Essex Bay or visit Cranes Beach (or similar), which is about two miles across, so total four-five miles, maybe six: is that too strenuous? We tend to be relaxed and loose and open to communal suggestion.

Billy, regarding lights: the only thing you really need is a white headlamp to shine at any boat (and then down at your own boat to illuminate it) that looks as though it may be coming <at> you. I am not in favour of greens and reds <at all> (USCG also do not encourage that, since it can give other boaters the impression of greater size/substance than is the reality!). Myself, I still prefer the incognito attitude; but we can carry chemical sticks, if folk wish...one worn over the back of the neck, for example, works well or attached to bows or stern of kayak.

I hope that helps? It will not be an energetic evening, I am sure: we generally get back around 2300. You might bring a snack and fluids.

Thanks for the reassurance Pintail. It sounds like it's going to be an AWESOME night!

I actually went with a small group of colleagues out on the Sudbury River on Mon. night, the Full Moon and it was so beautiful! I could not help but think how beautiful it would be over the ocean!

The weather is forecast to be spectacular! I have the necessary equip.

Are we bringing anything to eat or drink- beside water?

Sharing snacks? (chips and cookies etc.?)

So sad about the non-swimmer who apparently was caught by a "rogue wave" last night at Good Harbor and perished. Of all places- hard to believe.

By the way, does anyone else planning to come hail from the SUDBURY/Metrowest area?

Looking forward to meeting some NSPs!

Crayolabarb

damn....just got back in town last night, and didn't get around to checking till too late. i thought i had completely missed out on the full this month (although I did catch it from out west). hope y'all had fun, you should all be dragging back to shore just about now....

Wow, you must be jetlagged big time. You're not too late -- it's happening SATURDAY night. Right now it's only Friday (or, technically, Saturday morning.) Come join us!

damn....just got back in town last night, and didn't get around to checking till too late.

Wow, you must be jetlagged big time. You're not too late -- it's happening SATURDAY night. Right now it's only Friday (or, technically, Saturday morning.) Come join us!

LOL - you are correct. my bad indeed. I'll be there!

I'm in. I'll probably be out in Ipswich Bay paddling and fishing earlier. I'll paddle into Lanes by 1900 (I'll be in my all white Epic 18X).

Christopher,

Really sorry I couldn't make it. Had to set up my new 'yak for a longer trip today.

Hope to paddle with you soon.

Ern