Tuck's Point to Magnolia, 'round Kettle in the Gusts

subaruguru

In a variant of our paddle last Thursday, Leon and I launched in brisk winds yesterday, he suggesting we head west for an easier trip home later. But I wanted the variety of heading northeast, and we were both surprised to find calmer waters in the lee of the cliffs and paddled up to lunch in Magnolia Harbor.

Likewise only light chop and the predicted 15-18knot winds pushed us around as we rounded Kettle. But as we headed west through very the more open crossing we started to get hammered with 20-25kn WNW gusts and 2-3ft chop for most of the way, so it was quite a bit of work. When we got very close to shore the winds abated, providing a more relaxed last leg, wherein I repeatedly got stuck while threading through the maze of rocks, patiently awaiting enough water to push off and finally get through. Manchester Harbor was filled with complaining kids getting blown around throughout their sailboat lessons. Maybe only 12-13knots distance, on a beautiful, brisk, cooler day. I kept up with Leon, who didn't yawn a lot, so I guess I did ok. Next time I'll use my wing and REALLY show him!

I'm rather envious, Ernie! I wanted to paddle yesterday, myself, and most of the local put-ins were to windward and I was dubious that I could handle my kayak alone, on my shoulder, in 20-25kt wind! So I "chickened out", most regretfully -- the leeward side of Cape Ann looked wonderfully alluring: I was dying to play among the rocks below Atlantic Avenue! The north side of the cape would have been just <too> playful for a single paddler, I judged.

(Why do you almost always address me as Geoffrey, I wonder? Hmmm...)

(Why do you almost always address me as Geoffrey, I wonder? Hmmm...)

Egg on MY face, indeed. Somehow I have a brain-break and combine your names into one wrong one.

So sorry....

Interestingly, Leon arrived late, so I too only ventured out to the mouth solo, as indeed the wind picked up. Not a day to be out alone....

Ern