Women's paddle

Lbeale

My preference is Lane's Cove. Given the tide schedule, Ipswich will be a slog if at low tide at the end of the day, dragging boats to the cars--to be avoided at all costs. If the winds are too high, the trip is nix.

Second choice, Marblehead--even though slog with the low tide--lots of protective places to paddle if winds pick up--

The men are welcome to follow -- or whatever --

Les

AKA Swearing Ferret

Hi Les,

Since we have a number of women planning to come who may not have paddled out of Lane's Cove before, do you have some directions you can post for the put-in?

I have two AMC friends who are coming up from Boston, and since I'm directionally challenged would be great if I can pass along the directions to them.

Thanks,

Lorrie

From [Events & Planning] - [Put-ins/Directions]: "Lanes Cove on Cape Ann is on the northwest side of the Cape, providing a starting point for exploring the Annisquam or rounding Halibut Point to get to Rockport and the Dry Salvages. Take Route 128 to the rotary at exit 11, from the rotary head up Route 127 (turn left at the circle), past Annisquam, the UMASS Marine Station and continue. 4.5 miles to Duley Street. Turn left and follow Duley Street 0.1 mile to cove; park anywhere that doesn't block the road. Launch from the head of the cove and then park either in the main lot or back up on the main road - walking distance varies with the tide. "

The language "turn left at the circle" is not particularly accurate, it means to travel ~270 degrees around the rotary. If someone unfamiliar with the "malfunction junction" were to take this literally it could be an exciting minute or two for them. I would also note the parking at the easterly end of the cove and would avoid parking on "the main road"/Rte 127.