Solstice Paddle L2+

rylevine

The L2+ split into two pods, one with Leslie at the helm and the other with Peter. Peter's pod was going for more bump (L2++). Starting out from Riverhead about 10:30, we pretty much shadowed each other around Children's Island for lunch on the western shore. The conditions were very mild, 1-2 ft waves and less than 10mph winds, so we were able noodle around in the rocks without incident. After a leisurely lunch with the recombined L2+ group, we headed south to Tinkers Island. The eastern ledges of Tinkers did provide some excitement for L2++ as we progressed around to meet up with L2+ on the western side. It was then decided to go around Tinkers again (counterclockwise) as a recombined L2+ for more rock play; and then head north to the Marblehead Neck tip and then down to Riverhead. I think the L2+ probably morphed into L3- along the way, but the water and company were so delightful that the longer trip was welcome by all.

Thanks to all the organizers of the Solstice paddle!

Bob

The L2+ split into two pods, one with Leslie at the helm and the other with Peter. Peter's pod was going for more bump (L2++). Starting out from Riverhead about 10:30, we pretty much shadowed each other around Children's Island for lunch on the western shore. The conditions were very mild, 1-2 ft waves and less than 10mph winds, so we were able noodle around in the rocks without incident. After a leisurely lunch with the recombined L2+ group, we headed south to Tinkers Island. The eastern ledges of Tinkers did provide some excitement for L2++ as we progressed around to meet up with L2+ on the western side. It was then decided to go around Tinkers again (counterclockwise) as a recombined L2+ for more rock play; and then head north to the Marblehead Neck tip and then down to Riverhead. I think the L2+ probably morphed into L3- along the way, but the water and company were so delightful that the longer trip was welcome by all.

Thanks to all the organizers of the Solstice paddle!

Bob

Actually there was a THIRD pod as well, led by Sal Puglisi and yours truly. We had 10 boats for the original itinerary to Salem Willows and back. The trip out was very quiet, crossing by way of Great Aquavitae Ledge.

At the Willows I went in search of the elusive Chop Suey Sandwich, but got waylaid by the first ice cream stand I came to. Please convey our regrets to the starving Level 3 paddlers who were pining for their favorite food.

The return trip was a bit more exciting than the first leg, with a rising wind and increased boat traffic. Given the Level 2+ rating of the trip, I'm glad it wasn't any windier.

Coming back up the harbor we passed the great 12 meter yacht Valiant, an America's Cup defender of years past.

All in all, a very nice day on the water.

Rob

Coming back up the harbor we passed the great 12 meter yacht Valiant, an America's Cup defender of years past.

Ooooooooh! Did anyone get any pictures of that? That would have been very cool to see.

Ooooooooh! Did anyone get any pictures of that? That would have been very cool to see.

Oops, I was wrong. Valiant was a contender for the defender's role, but lost out to Intrepid, which successfully defended the cup in 1970 against Gretel.

Still, Valiant is a handsome yacht. She was designed by the great Olin Stephens.

As we paddled up the west shore of the harbor, she was tied to a pier on our right. Her name is on her mainsail cover in great big letters. Check her out next time you're in Marblehead.