Paddle to the Graves - Outer Boston Harbor - This Sunday May 23rd

sidcohen

Is any one interested in a Level 3 trip out the Graves this Sunday, May 23rd. I'm looking for some exercise so I'd like to paddle out of the public boat launch in Winthrop. Crossing the President Roads is not that big a deal and it will be better this weekend than next weekend too. It would be better for me if I could paddle very early, although I'm willing to go later. I have to drop my wife off at Logan for a very early flight so launching between 7-9 AM would be great. I'll be there a lot earlier. I'm also able launch from some other location like Windmill Point for a shorter paddle.

I am happy to navigate and if people want and we can paddle a course that I did last year but I'm also happy to make it a group project too of course in the spirit of the Common Adventure Model. I really enjoy using the small boat nav aid and we can us it together if you want or I'd be happy to use your method of navigation too. Also if we leave early we’ll have lots of time to think about were we want to go once we are out on the Harbor if you like that.

The round trip from Winthrop is about 15.5 to 17.5 NM or 18 to 20 statute miles, depending if you want to hoof it straight back from the Graves or rest again on the way back. The forecast looks very calm so far and the tides are favorable. 1 foot seas are forecasted closer in but seas could easily be 3 feet or more once we get to the Graves. . If the forecast holds up we'll have very light breezes against us or quartering the bow as we go out and they'll pick up a tiny bit for a faster trip back to Winthrop. Dry suits are required; the water is still pretty cold.

If I remember correctly parking is $5.00 at the boat ramp.

Please post your interest here.

Poop, just checked to forecast again and it looks like we'll have periods of rain throughout the morning and afternoon. Otherwise conditions are still good. I'm probably not psyched to paddle in the rain. I'll paddle in rain to train with professional coaches but not just for a joy ride. I'll check the forecast later this evening and I'll probably call it off then.

Sid

The forecast is now for only clouds in the morning then becoming partly sunny. I'm headed to bed call my cell phone at 978-408-1132 and leave a message if you want to paddle in Boston Harbor or North of it someplace, up as far Southern Maine, tomorrow.

Sid Cohen