Night paddle, tentative...

Pintail

How about Lane's Cove, Friday night, 28th May? The night after full moon (thanks, Sal)...

I know Cathy, Sal (?) and Phil are interested thus far. I think Liz will be out of the country.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Lane's Cove, Friday night, 28th May? The night after full moon (thanks, Sal)...

I know Cathy, Sal (?) and Phil are interested thus far. I think Liz will be out of the country.

What time are you looking to launch? If it's not too early (IE post traffic) I would like to join you.

-Jason

Jason, it will be nice if you can join us -- had not thought about time yet -- depends on moonrise, I daresay?

Phil, does Memorial Day weekend really concern us, do you think? Won't anyone out on the water on Friday be already home? However, if it <does> look as though it will be too busy, we can always "can" it for another night. Paddling around Annisquam lighthouse, Coffin's Beach, I would also suspect traffic will not be too much trouble; but I might be wrong...

Itinerary will be dependant on those participating, I reckon? I am totally flexible. What about the weekend before that one, if folks prefer it?

I dont know Cape Anne that well in summer. I do know that the crazy's are out on Narraganset bay (RI) that weekend, hence the suggestion. I'm doing the CAM paddle the week before, so I'd say keep to Friday the 28th (or maybe Thursday the 27th ?).

Phil

Christopher,

I'm interested; especially as we are not going the whole way around this time!

Barry.

That could be a nice night paddle. Even more fun without a full moon.

I'll have to remain on the tentative list, as I'd forgotten Lorrie and I had signed up for a MITA cleanup crew the next day. I'm not sure what time I need to be on the boat on Saturday.

Phil

Oh, good: this is beginning to look like we'll have some fun -- or, at least, a few pals to paddle together. Someone remind me: who is this "JeffCasey" fellow? Does he know how to paddle a sea kayak, I wonder? :D:rolleyes:

Someone else tell me what time to expect moonrise that night (the Friday night), please? (I daresay I could look it up on the inter-whatever-it's-called?) -- then we can fix on a time to meet...

Folks, what about aiming to meet at 1900 (7pm)? Moonrise is at 2118, so if we play around on the ocean and make sure we are over by Coffin's, Wingaersheek or even Crane's then we shall be assured of seeing the moon coming up over Cape Ann (no -e on the end of this name, Phil, ya landlubber, you!)

Any preferences or input?

(Anyone helping with MITA clean-up the next day has only to make sure they stay up all night, then it won't matter about needing an early start on the Saturday -- right, Phil?)

Folks, what about aiming to meet at 1900 (7pm)? Moonrise is at 2118, so if we play around on the ocean and make sure we are over by Coffin's, Wingaersheek or even Crane's then we shall be assured of seeing the moon coming up over Cape Ann (no -e on the end of this name, Phil, ya landlubber, you!)

Any preferences or input?

(Anyone helping with MITA clean-up the next day has only to make sure they stay up all night, then it won't matter about needing an early start on the Saturday -- right, Phil?)

Christopher,

Given a fair evening, would Lanes Cove to Dry Salvages be practicable ?

Oh, good: this is beginning to look like we'll have some fun -- or, at least, a few pals to paddle together. Someone remind me: who is this "JeffCasey" fellow? Does he know how to paddle a sea kayak, I wonder? :D:rolleyes:

ouch....I daresay I only deserve a small piece of that. I haven't been **completely** absent for the last few years, my boat has even gotten wet at least twice each of the last couple years....

....so if Sir Godfrey is willing to help orient me, so that I can recall which end of the boat to point forward (and more importantly, which end to keep up), I might tag along with you pros.....

If I were a gambling man (none too subtle foreshadowing) I'd bet this would be Mr. Casey's last paddle as a resident of the fair commonwealth.

you lose, bwana....

....I can sneak another trip in just to spite you. In any case, we are bicoastal now. We already closed on the house in Las Vegas, and as soon as we sell our monstrosity here, we'll get a small local studio apartment since all of us will be back frequently enough. I'll even keep my Diamonte here in town (not sure about the rest of the fleet).

OK, so in the spirit of the conversation going on elsewhere ("What are we?"...as a club), what about some newer kayakers wanting to know what it's like to paddle at night? All the special equipment you need is a waterproof flashlight (most of us favour elasticated headlamps) for use solely when getting on or off the water or for shining at traffic (fishing boats, if thought to be on the verge of running one down!) Some wear a chemical light-stick on their back or small white light on the PFD; but USCG do not advocate kayakers wearing reds and greens, which give commercial boaters the impression of a greater presence than we actually present! NO STROBES (these are emergency gear, only) I prefer to go incognito, myself.

So -- any level 2 paddlers want to get out on the ocean at night? If it were to be a rough evening, we'd make suitable announcement...

I'd mention night blindness due to other bright lights and would therefore make a stronger pitch for headlamps. If you don't have a headlamp or don't have your headlamp on while paddling its good to have a light handy, though usually not on. This is obviously useful for landing, etc. but is also useful in case you need to let someone know where you are. Its best to night paddle with a good moon, checking not only the moon cycle but the state of the sky. Also, you can string glow-in-the-dark beads on your deck lines.

concur, concur. night paddles are generally taken at easier levels of effort, and are often pure magic. a very good place to have a relaxing evening and try something different.

I usually bring a handful of those 4th-of-july-glow-in-dark-necklaces, which are about all you need to mark your boat for other paddlers without blinding them. the headlamps usually stay off unless we are landing or looking for rocks. I also have a fairly bright waterproof glow lamp on a 18" pedestal that mounts on my back deck -- which also usually means that I bring up the rear....it marks the pod for overtaking boats.

If some non-safety-minded person brings frozen margaritas to share, they usually add somewhat to the safety by at least bringing glow-in-dark-margarita-glasses to quaff them from. It is a good thing that none of us would actually bring alcohol to a paddling venture, though......

<So -- any level 2 paddlers want to get out on the ocean at night? If it were to be a rough evening, we'd make suitable announcement... >

May I, then, modify this invitation wording to "any level 2 paddler wishing to step up to level 3"? Does that cover it, oh mighty and learned Beckers? :D