Yucatan for 7 days

Lbeale

:D Karen G and I are headin' down for some paddlin' the Sian Ka'an Reserve, south of Tulum, Mexico-- a place where the "sky is born" -- a million acre UNESCO wildlife reserve--will try to post this adventure as the days progress--but if you don't hear from us again, let it be known that we decided to pack it in and continue searching for the Lost City of Z.

May the force be with us,

Les aka swearing ferret

• 2 weeks later...
:D Karen G and I are headin' down for some paddlin' the Sian Ka'an Reserve, south of Tulum, Mexico-- a place where the "sky is born" -- a million acre UNESCO wildlife reserve--will try to post this adventure as the days progress--but if you don't hear from us again, let it be known that we decided to pack it in and continue searching for the Lost City of Z.

May the force be with us,

Les aka swearing ferret

Living Adventures Outfitters from Wisconsin offer seven day trips out of south of Tulum, Mexico. Nice boats (NDKs and Impex boats) make this outfitter unique. Eco tourism lodgings with emphasis on Mayan culture, bird watching, ocean paddling and surfing, paddling in lagoons and snorkeling--means this Outfitter highly recommended for those who want to paddle in the Caribbean's warm blue water--with composite boats. Hard to find an outfitter in these parts who offers boats beyond the basic bathtub plastic float.

In addition to these highlights costs include personal instruction from a NOLS guide with 30 years experience. Finally learned how to locate the North Star at night and getting my stern rudder out faster when surfing--held the paddle in too long--

For those of you who do not know Living Adventures--they won best outfitters award for the Midwest from Sea Kayakers Magazine (last year?)--no small feat in this competitive market--

It was tough paddling warm blue waters, watching tropical birds fly overhead or nest as the sun set, swimming with tropical fish and laying in a hammock after paddling all day - but someone had to do it --

The only sad observation was the plastic that was a virus on the beaches. Given the currents, the plastic that is dumped in the Caribbean by the Islands, us, cruise ships, and peoples of Mexico--the Yucatan coastline is littered with plastic beyond my imagination -- sad to see plastic everywhere on the beaches--more plastic objects than shells--alas, the Mexican government has no infrastructure to recycle plastic--

Les