carpal tunnel syndrome surgery experiences?

RogerPollock

Folks,

I'm being evaluated this coming Monday for carpal tunnel surgery. I've suffered with this for ten years, brought on by heavy work, like weight lifting, yard work, construction work, and, now, paddling. I've had about enough. Knife or no knife. Those who've never experienced this, can barely begin to imagine the sleepless nights and general misery and michief it causes in one's life.

Anybody have any experience with this surgery - either positive or negative?

Roger . . .

Roger,

I had carpal tunnel surgery done on my left hand a couple years ago. My CTS manifested itself as numbness rather than as pain, but it was quite annoying, as I had also lost some dexterity and tended to drop things. It was part of the reason I stopped windsurfing and bike riding. My hands kept going to sleep on me!

The surgery was done at Salem Hospital. I think it took less than an hour, but I can't recall precisely. I had a "trigger finger" (a nodule on a flexor tendon) taken care of at the same time.

Since the operation the numbness is completely gone from my left hand, but the dexterity has not totally returned. I am certainly glad I had it done, but I was not impressed enough with the results to have the procedure done on my right hand. I am left-handed and my left hand was more severly affected by the CTS than the right.

Don't let this discourage you! I do think it's worth having done if carpal tunnel is bothering you.

Rob

I know several people who have had it done. The response in each case was "why didn't I do this earlier?". I also understand that prolonged pressure or irritation of nerves can cause irreversable damage - another reason not to delay too much. (Above is anecdotal and second hand - you should verify from better sources.)

I had a similar diagnosis (ulnar nerve compression) that led to numbness, pain and (after 10 years) severe atrophy of muscles in my arms and hands. Eleven doctors and many tests later, the 'best hand surgeon in Boston' suggested relocating the nerve to inside my elbow and was ready to cut. I thought to ask him if it would cure my problem and his answer was: 'don't ask me, I'm only the surgeon.'

The point is: make sure you get a second opinion, preferably from someone other than a surgeon to make sure other causes are conclusively ruled out. The risks for this procedure are small, but they are there, so it pays to be sure.

In my case, the good surgeon did graciously recommend a great (and for me fourth) neurologist who finally correctly diagnosed my syndrome (nothing to do with the ulnar nerve). Two visits to the physical therapist, and a year of gradual recovery and I had 80-90% of my hand strength back.

Good luck.

Scott

While I've not had CTS surgery myself, I have many patients who have, and are very happy that they did. Chances of getting rid of the pain are very very good. If you have numbness or weakness, they may not totally resolve, depending on how long you've had these symptoms, and how much damage has been done to the nerve.

I had surgery for DeQuervain's - another wrist problem caused by repetitive movement - and have had no problems since. I did however, change to a crank-shaft paddle and do some work on my stroke at the same time. The non-surgical interventions came from Tom Bergh. Carpal tunnell is usually from repetitive flexion of the wrist, so you want to avoid that, even if you have the surgery. You may find a crank shaft, or a different feathering angle helpful.

Of course the comments about being sure about the diagnosis, and getting a second opinion are right on.

I have had surgery done on my right hand twice by two different doctors. After the first surgery it retuned within 5 years. This time it wasn't just numbness and tingling that woke me at night, it was the stabling pain in my fingertips. When I touched anything no mater how gently it felt as though I had pins in my fingers. I had no choice but to have it done again. Now I only have a problem when the season changes from winter to spring. It doesn't wake me any more either. When I was diagnosed this last time with it in my right I had two different doctors diagnosed my left hand as well. I put off having my left hand done pending the results of the right. Well I waited a little longer than I should have and now I have to have my left done ASAP. The nerves are impacted by scar tissue build up.

With all this said everyone is different and every circumstance is different. I'm glad I had my right hand done again because it seems to be working. As for the left....I would rather have 5 years than the constant problems I have now.

Good luck with your decision