Essex Bay

spider

Does anybody know if there is winter access to Essex Bay.

I've been tempted with these mild temps to get back into the bay and see how things are looking back there for wildlife etc.

I know I can launch from Pavillion in the winter but was wondering if there was another place down there on the bay itself.

thanks, spdr

Conomo Point (Essex) has a small beach that is inaccessible 1-2 hrs from low tide with public parking along the road. I'm not sure what happens after snowfall, any winter trip I've taken originated at Walter Mears' house just around the corner so I'm not sure about the parking with the snowfall. If you miss the tide you can land at the end during any (tide) condition and its a short walk to the beach to retrieve the boats, i.e. when you mistime/misread the tide.

There's also a launch across the Anisquam Bay at the end of Corliss St or Apple St with reasonable parking. From there you need to time the tides to be able to get in/out based upon your idea of adventure.

Does anybody know if there is winter access to Essex Bay.

I've been tempted with these mild temps to get back into the bay and see how things are looking back there for wildlife etc.

I know I can launch from Pavillion in the winter but was wondering if there was another place down there on the bay itself.

thanks, spdr

Unless there's a lot of snow piled up along the road and parking would become a hazard to your car and others, you can park AFTER the sign that says "Resident's only." While I'm not sure how well the non-parking restrictions are enforced in winter, it's best not to park in the large lot directly across from the beach or in the lot above the beach, which is for Essex residents. However, it's fine to unload your boat and gear by the beach; just move your car afterwards.

The only real drawback to Conomo is that when the tide goes out, the tide goes WAY out and if you miscalculate, you'll be launching or landing in cold muck. The following link does have a tide table specific to Essex, which will be helpful if you want to launch from Conomo: www.boatma.com/tides/

Conomo is a really nice place to launch as you can paddle over to Crane, circumnavigate Choate Island and also just explore the back marshes. Just be mindful of using the ramp as the clammers who make their living off the mud aren't always overjoyed to share that space with kayakers, especially when they're launching their own boats.

Deb M :surfcool::roll:

Thanks for the responses.

I'm curious.... what about a place called Coffins Beach on Wingarsheek Rd ? Does that have access like Pavillion ?

(Years ago I worked down that way as a Chimney Sweep, but can't recall if that is a summer only unpaved road... )