Basket Cache placed last Sunday (GC21K9Y)

brambor

I am seriously reconsidering placing any caches on islands. We spend a great day on the water last Sunday and placed a geocache on Basket Island in Casco Bay. This is the third geocache placed by me. All three were placed on an island in an attempt to promote kayaking.

First cache the dude waded through mud to Goat island in middle of October.

Second cache the dude waded even further to Cape Island in early November.

Today, December 1st the cache was first found by two guys who were in a Canoe :-) The guy actually called me and I told him NO it was a bad idea to take a canoe to Casco Bay. They did it anyway to much delight from nearby seals. :-)

4145447892_66ba98ab58.jpg

4146507203_3f3acf23a7.jpg

It looks like the 2 of you had a nice paddle last Sunday. As far as the GeoCaches you shouldn't concern yourself as to how people get to them. I suppose you could make a note as to difficulty level and and warn people about potential weather conditions but that doesn't mean they'll heed it. I hope to get to these caches someday myself.

:shark:

Neil

This is a good question. I'll do my best to answer. For more detailed information please go to www.geocaching.com

Geocaching.com is a strong supporter of Cache in Thrash Out

A geocache is a hidden treasure and therefore is not and eyesoar. The odds are that on your way to work you will pass hundreds of close by cache locations but you will never see them.

A quick peek at your profile location, I entered Gloucester, MA into geocaching.com and found

roughly 70 geocaches in your vicinity.

4166883920_147e04c135.jpg

In general a geocache is registered by the governing body of geocaching.com. Its owner is responsible for placing the cache within the posted guidelines. So I am responsible in making sure the cache does not litter, does not create an eyesore etc etc...

There are trinkets in every cache. On the island caches I tried to include items that would be useful for nearby kayaker or camper. I left such things as light sticks, mini flashlights ... My cache's are in a waterproof containter so potential contents can not leak out.

Every geocache has it's own web page profile. If a geocacher finds an issue with a placed cache they will log it in and suggest a maintenance. The cache owner gets immediately notified by an e-mail and is able to resolve the issue asap.

rb

Being totally ignorant of such diversions as "geo-cache-ing", will someone please explain the practice to me? What is the point of it? Are "leave no trace" ideals are disregarded here?

There are those who think the greatest individual risk would be admitting participation in the practice in the first place ;-) For the most part there is little harm to the practice and if people are getting out and interacting it has definite benefits (for them). As far as "leave no trace" it violates the letter of the rule regardless of the quality of the package. However, as part of the practice is to remove a reasonable amount of trash from each location visited then I see an opportunity for a net gain. I believe its safe to assume the supply of trash will continue to outstrip the supply of geo-caches.

... only to be superseded by the amount of flotsam and jetsam ... :D

There are those who think the greatest individual risk would be admitting participation in the practice in the first place ;-) For the most part there is little harm to the practice and if people are getting out and interacting it has definite benefits (for them). As far as "leave no trace" it violates the letter of the rule regardless of the quality of the package. However, as part of the practice is to remove a reasonable amount of trash from each location visited then I see an opportunity for a net gain. I believe its safe to assume the supply of trash will continue to outstrip the supply of geo-caches.

heh. Maybe instead of actual trinkets inside of the cache I design and print my own carbon credit currency. The description of the cache would be for removing flotsam for the reward of the certificate. B)

Can I suggest: http://www.seguinisland.org/

No issues with people walking to it. As for someone in an open canoe, I know I wouldn't do it.

The cove has tons of trash that can be removed to in exchange for your cache (starting to sound like carbon credits).

-Jason