Kittery Paddle

Suz

Peter is correct it's definitely a Sea Raven see the photo below

http://www.thejump.net/id/sea-raven.htm

As kids we used to spearfish for these as well as Sclupins and Monk Fish and Flounders off of North Beach in Hampton

Neil

Peter is correct it's definitely a Sea Raven see the photo below

http://www.thejump.net/id/sea-raven.htm

As kids we used to spearfish for these as well as Sclupins and Monk Fish and Flounders off of North Beach in Hampton

Neil

Also looks like a "Sea Robin"

Also looks like a "Sea Robin"

The Sea Raven is distinguished from other sculpins by the two taller spines at the front of the dorsal fin, clearly evident in Suz' picture. They are also reddish/maroon in color, although indeed they can also be a bright yellow as in one of Neil's pictures. (I saw one in this color phase up by H20 /Orrs Island).

The sea robin has long pectoral spines, and the monkfish (or goosefish: Lophius) is more flattened, usually a grey to brown color, and has virtually no dorsal fin.

The Sea Raven is distinguished from other sculpins by the two taller spines at the front of the dorsal fin, clearly evident in Suz' picture. They are also reddish/maroon in color, although indeed they can also be a bright yellow as in one of Neil's pictures. (I saw one in this color phase up by H20 /Orrs Island).

The sea robin has long pectoral spines, and the monkfish (or goosefish: Lophius) is more flattened, usually a grey to brown color, and has virtually no dorsal fin.

I vote for sea raven also, one of my favorite fish to see when diving. Colors vary, I've seen several that were brown. A very reliable friend watched a yellow sea raven swim to a new spot and turn brown.

The one time I've seen a goosefish underwater (10 years ago) I mistook it for some type of skate, a friend correctly identfied it. They were very common in the shallow coastal water years ago, but are almost never seen by divers now.

Ralph

I vote for sea raven also, one of my favorite fish to see when diving. Colors vary, I've seen several that were brown. A very reliable friend watched a yellow sea raven swim to a new spot and turn brown.

The one time I've seen a goosefish underwater (10 years ago) I mistook it for some type of skate, a friend correctly identfied it. They were very common in the shallow coastal water years ago, but are almost never seen by divers now.

Ralph

Thanks to all for the ID!