Kayaker Geocache placed at Goat Island

brambor

On Sunday we launched from Cape Porpoise towards Goat Island to place a new cache on the island. I know we have some geocachers among our members ...

GPS Coordinates: N 43° 21.485 W 070° 25.460

4046432738_0478a4b753.jpg

4046432548_d842a30695.jpg

The sea was wild on the exposed side of Goat Island but Cape Porpoise is protected. Other than us fighting the wind the trip was easygoing and fun.

COOL!!! I'll add this one to my to find list. Is there a name or GC code for it.

I've placed a multi stage cache on islands on Pawtuckaway lake if you are looking for a fun lake GeoCaching adventure.

Pawtuckaway Island Hop GC1Z9V4

:kayak:

Neil

GC Name is: GC20A3R

Name is: Goat Island Cache

:-)

COOL!!! I'll add this one to my to find list. Is there a name or GC code for it.

I've placed a multi stage cache on islands on Pawtuckaway lake if you are looking for a fun lake GeoCaching adventure.

Pawtuckaway Island Hop GC1Z9V4

Neil

Thanks Ed. My cell phone takes decent shots at bright light.

I picked up a used Pintail a few weeks ago for a decent price. I padded it well to give him a reasonable fit. I think next spring the padding will be just about right. The OC is perfect for his size.

Rene

Very neat pictures of your son. An OC Pintail...what more could a boy want?

Next time he will be chopping to go around the outside before coming in.

And then what will Dad do? :D

Ed Lawson

On Sunday we launched from Cape Porpoise towards Goat Island to place a new cache on the island. I know we have some geocachers among our members ...

Nice pictures! we paddled here in August it's a stunning area. Did you meet the caretaker and her dogs ? Very nice and welcoming person.

How old is your son and at what age did he start paddling ? I plan to buy a tandem for next year to take my 5 year old boy out.

Barry.

Thanks Barry.

My son is 11. He started on a sit on top last year and this year we had him in a WS Piccolo. That boat was fine but had no bulkheads which could complicate ocean rescues. I started looking a fiberglass kayak for him a few months ago. I almost bought a Impex Mystic for a decent price but someone swiped it 2 days before I was ready. The Pintail fits the bill nicely for at least 5 years. The LV fit with the ocean cockpit combine into a nice combination for a small person that my son is.

He can paddle but is weak to keep up with adult groups so I usually just try to go solo with him. Short distances are better. I think Cape Porpoise is perfect for a trip with kids. Everything is close by, relatively protected for just exploring and messing around.

I did not meet the caretaker nor did I see or hear a dog. It appears as no one was on the island during our visit.

Rene

Nice pictures! we paddled here in August it's a stunning area. Did you meet the caretaker and her dogs ? Very nice and welcoming person.

How old is your son and at what age did he start paddling ? I plan to buy a tandem for next year to take my 5 year old boy out.

Barry.

Here is a cool one we did on Sunday while in Bar Harbor for the weekend. 19 of us paddled to the Ovens from Hadley Point. I'm sure you and your son would love this place and the Acadia Earth Cache Series. Check out my log with pictures.

The Ovens 2 if by land, 5 if by Sea GCZ5Ja

Neil

Wow, the window through rock is impressive. Nice pictures Neil.

rb

Here is a cool one we did on Sunday while in Bar Harbor for the weekend. 19 of us paddled to the Ovens from Hadley Point. I'm sure you and your son would love this place and the Acadia Earth Cache Series. Check out my log with pictures.

Neil

Neil

For the last day of the Down East Symposium in Sept. we launched from Hadley Pt. I guess we were too busy working on Strokes with Power and Finesse to take a look at these cool features. This trip is now on my to-do list for when I get back up there. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Today was a gorgeous day at Cape Porpoise. We placed another cache - this time on Cape Island. Cape Island landing is kind of dicey. Launching is equally interesting for my unflexible body. Be prepared to lose some gelcoat or disembark 15 feet before landing on the island.

I've met Bob Haskell, an old guard kayaker and had a great little chat with him about the island stewardship of Cape Porpoise.

Along the way we also stopped at Redin Island and Goat Island again. The lighthouse was open this time. We were able to go to the top and rest for a while.

The id for the new cache is: GC20HGJ

4067223742_063a4c3c22.jpg

4067409094_782e2d5d03.jpg

rb

For the last day of the Down East Symposium in Sept. we launched from Hadley Pt. I guess we were too busy working on Strokes with Power and Finesse to take a look at these cool features. This trip is now on my to-do list for when I get back up there. Thanks for sharing your pics.