Pics from membership meeting paddle

tyson

There were a few good rides and a lot of good lump and bump.

Wow. I've paddled my share this summer, managing EITHER 20k winds, 4' confused chop, moderately strong current, and asymmetric crazy surf, but NEVER all at once! I found myself pretty exhausted after only an hour, and, not having a roll, couldn't offer myself up any longer to try to get a ride. At one point one of my trusted gurus (Peter) corralled me as I was getting pushed northward; I found the combined comfort of conversation and perhaps perceived improved safety allowed me to physically unclench a bit, wherein I remembered that "staying loose" makes tossing about easier.

Also interesting that the ride back was SO quick and tender by comparison. Maybe I should have hung out a bit longer, but didn't want to fight my way back out solo, of course.

Christopher's on-beach assessment was right on. Washing machine indeed. Thanks to all for an opportunity in the heavy duty cycle.

And a great meeting, Peter.

I now notice this Google map showing a turbulent area SE of Plum. Were we this far east, and thus in this infamous South of Plum Triangle?

<http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=plum+island+ma&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Plum+Island,+Newburyport,+MA&gl=us&ei=6bPASsWRAdOh8Aav24SmAQ&ll=42.696504,-70.75882&spn=0.047059,0.054331&t=h&z=14>

The adventure continued when I crushed my glasses while loading my kayak, popping out a lens. Of course the wind had blown it 15 feet away. I then decided to hobble into REI/Reading for an eyeglass screwdriver, but by the time I found one attached to a HUGE multi-tool I was shivering in my still-wetsuit, stinking up the place enough to finally scrounge up some dry pants in the sale bin rather than head back to the car to change, all the while clasping an eyeglass lens and its loose screw together. REI's probably the only store that'll leave you alone doing this kind of crap. Even the checkout clerk wasn't TOO surprised when I presented my drippy suit and boots upon another form of "wet" exit!

I now notice this Google map showing a turbulent area SE of Plum. Were we this far east, and thus in this infamous South of Plum Triangle?

<http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=plum+island+ma&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Plum+Island,+Newburyport,+MA&gl=us&ei=6bPASsWRAdOh8Aav24SmAQ&ll=42.696504,-70.75882&spn=0.047059,0.054331&t=h&z=14>

The adventure continued when I crushed my glasses while loading my kayak, popping out a lens. Of course the wind had blown it 15 feet away. I then decided to hobble into REI/Reading for an eyeglass screwdriver, but by the time I found one attached to a HUGE multi-tool I was shivering in my still-wetsuit, stinking up the place enough to finally scrounge up some dry pants in the sale bin rather than head back to the car to change, all the while clasping an eyeglass lens and its loose screw together. REI's probably the only store that'll leave you alone doing this kind of crap. Even the checkout clerk wasn't TOO surprised when I presented my drippy suit and boots upon another form of "wet" exit!

Very funny! I was happy to have shared this experience from my living room. I prefer uni-directional bump.

Doug

That is exactly where we were! ...you can also see the sand bar under the shallow water in that image.

Cheers!

Ty

That is exactly where we were! ...you can also see the sand bar under the shallow water in that image.

...well, perhaps not exactly. I'm pretty sure that sand bar moves around quite a bit. I think we were just a little SW of where the bar is shown in that image.

...well, perhaps not exactly. I'm pretty sure that sand bar moves around quite a bit. I think we were just a little SW of where the bar is shown in that image.

Good post- meeting paddle! Scummy gray skies, a patter of rain now and again, pretty warm water, and Wind, Wind , Wind.

After the meeting, it became clear that a paddle was Meant To Be. From Chris' nonchalant "of course we're paddling today" demeanor, to the deranged "of course we're paddling today!" gleam in Tyson's eye, this was a group not to be denied.

Hard paddle out into wind and tide , easy paddle back.

Tyson and Emilie did lots of Cheri Perry-esque , lay back/ butterfly/ balance brace stuff in choppy water: at one point I thought Emilie was napping.

Surfing was ... interesting. Catch a wave, into the wind, and skitter down a wave that was all bumpy and pocked with wind waves: it felt like riding a bicycle over railroad ties. Then, as the sound began to fill up, waves were running in different directions, and a few haystacks, I think that might be one in that " Ross and the beast" photo.

I enjoyed that paddle back. Nothing like finishing off the day with the wind and tide chauffeuring you back to your car.

I'm glad we got to paddle. Thanks, all.

and a few haystacks, I think that might be one in that " Ross and the beast" photo.

That photo was from June 13th; the oh so popular "You lost Gene?!" episode and my first NSPN outing. ;)

The full set of photos from that trip can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tyson.sawyer

Look for the album titled "20090613-IpswichBay".

I'm looking forward to collecting my balance due from "dinner" in the form of your offer to try your Anas. :kayak-surfer:

Cheers!

Ty

That photo was from June 13th; the oh so popular "You lost Gene?!" episode and my first NSPN outing. ;)

The full set of photos from that trip can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tyson.sawyer

Look for the album titled "20090613-IpswichBay".

I'm looking forward to collecting my balance due from "dinner" in the form of your offer to try your Anas. :kayak-surfer:

Cheers!

Ty

Damn. You're right. Thanks for the scholarship to Choate Bridge Pub. Will repay in whatever form requested.