Ogunquit of all Places for some Bumpy Water...

Ken C

Its been a year of scarce visits to Salt Water for me, but this past week a combination of Business and Pleasure brought me to Ogunquit. And i must say i found a sweet little spot for a few hours of play for the last 3 hours of the flood.

The place.... Launch from the footbridge beach parking area and head south out the Ogunquit River. Nice little warm up paddle that takes you to the bridge at the tip of the Footbridge Beach inlet of the river. Once you have the bridge in sight your face will light up with a smile!!! The Whole area reminds me of Pavillion in Ipswich and the Cranes area. A lot of water moving in over a shallow gradual inlet.

The days i was there surf at footbridge was only around 2' but the inlet was a blast!!! There were a few boarders out there but there was plenty of room to share. I'm not sure its worth a special trip to the area. But if you find yourself in that neck of the woods with a few hours to kill, and the tides are right, i think you'll enjoy it.

Ken C

post-100184-1253812906_thumb.jpg

Hey Ken,

You found my secret paddling spot. Great Surfing with multiple breaks not to mention the nice paddle around "Marginal Way" to "Perkins Cove". Added interest are the cliffs just south of there but beware of this area as there are not many bail out spots. Water is still warm there..... hummmm !

Hey Ken,

You found my secret paddling spot. Great Surfing with multiple breaks not to mention the nice paddle around "Marginal Way" to "Perkins Cove". Added interest are the cliffs just south of there but beware of this area as there are not many bail out spots. Water is still warm there..... hummmm !

I used to go here all the time as a kid. The river has quite a current and has been dangerous for swimmers (lots of folks try to cross as low tide to the other side) but always a fun place for surfing:)

Doug,

I did not take a temperature reading, but i was Solo and this time of year i'm pretty much in my Drisuit up there anyway. I cruised down past Bald Head one day, then stopped in perkins and met the wife for lunch on the way back. The owner of the inn we stay at has a boat in perkins and was kind enough to let me tie my boat. The second day i just plain had fun in the inlet.

Lots of onlookers on the Marginal Way, most i'm sure amused at this little boat weaving in and about the rocks. Sir Godfrey would have loved this area. All in all great paddling. But not worth the be-heading i'll now suffer at Doug's hands :D !

Cheers,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my eye on this area for a bit and am intending to go up. I can't find any restrictions about using the Main Lot at the south end of the beach (mouth of the river) for launching. Is it OK? My book for Maine paddles only mentions the spot up by the treatment plant. Seems the main lot is ideal as you can launch from 3 directions including the river, but must be a reason it isn't listed as a launch site. In summer a PITA but this time of year is is pretty dead, so off season no crowd issues.

I'm bringing two boats so having the car right by the surf spot for easy switchout would be ideal.