PFD suggestions?

ccarlson

OK,first a little background... driving home yesterday evening from a relaxing paddle on Great Bay. Suddenly, there is growling under the hood of the Jeep and a cloud of smoke appears behing me. Pull over, pop the hood and flames dance out around the edges... I knew this was going to be a bad end to the day. The good news is that I scrambled and got the Explorer off the rack and grabbed the two carbon paddles from the back seat. Just a bit of soot on the bow. By this time, it was too hot inside the vehicle so everything else was lost. Yep, the Jeep too.

So, will be in the market for new gear/clothing, etc. In particular, I need to replace my Serratus PFD... the one with all the pockets for stuff. But, they don't make 'em anymore and I've been unable to unearth anything even similar. So, does anyone know of a PFD with lots of pockets? The Serratus had two huge ones and a smaller one up top. Nice to have the little things right at hand. If not, guess I'll have to go with something more contemporary.

Thanks,

Carl C.

MTI has a low tech "Angler" model with big pockets but not much else http://mtiadventurewear.com/Products/PFDs//Multi/1Angler.htm

Check out their Rescue series: you can take off the tow belt and use the rest.

Palm used to make a five-pocket model (the Ocean?) that included a large emergency pouch on the back. I left mine at Walden Pond one practice session, never to be seen again. Can't find anything similar for Palm today.

Most of the models seem to be going to the low slung 'action' style with little room for pockets.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. The Palm 4 pocket and 5 pocket PFDs can be ordered from dealers in the UK for around $120 and $180 respectively plus shipping to the US. A little pricey but still available.

carl, so sorry to hear of your loss!

owners of older cars might learn from this: some european countries make everyone carry a fire extinguisher in their car (as have i for years). cheap insurance and who knows when you might be able to help someone else? in the netherlands (correct me if i'm wrong, werner, alsublieft) they even make you demonstrate that you can use it when you take your driving test! now there's a thought...

Sorry to hear about your autmotive misfortunes. I guess the bright side is that you get a new car and new gear! ;-)

Regarding PFD's give the Kokatat MsFit Tour a look. I've been wearing one for the past three seasons and I'm very happy with it. Plenty of pocket space and a nice fit, too. If it's too short for you, the longer OutFit Tour should fit, but it has one less pocket.

I have a Retroglide Sabre and I love it, it's very comfortable, but part of that comfort comes from the stretchy shoulder straps. These straps aren't very good to grab onto if you're doing a hand of god or scoop rescue. Someone grabbed my should strap once and pulled it right off my shoulder, back down into the water I went. Again I love the pfd but you should be take a look at the shoulder straps.

I still have my old MTI that is pretty beat up, but will keep you afloat, so if you need a loaner let me know. MTI has some newer vests that look very nice.

If you really want a Serratus again MEC has a store in Montreal, road trip anyone?

I just got an Astral PFD, the 300 series. It has two huge front pockets and fits very nicely. In addition it has a built in pouch in the back for a bladder and a ton of attachment points along the straps. I think wilderness house has them. I got mine from Carl Ladd down in Westport.

Yup, having an extinguisher is definitely a good idea. I did until it was stolen from the car and I never got a replacement. It probably would not have been useful in my particular situation but, for less immediately conflagrations, a really good idea. Will be picking one up for my Saab real soon!