Friendly rocks and faraway islands

Kevin B (RPS Coach)

N 4-7 knots becoming variable at less than E 5 knots with 2 ft seas. Water temperature a balmy 61 degrees. So was the forecast for the trip to the Isles of Shoals, 6 NM off the coast of Rye, NH. I tried this trip last year but succumbed to an injury before I could undertake it. I tried it last week but the forecast of 25 KN winds from the west and temps in the 90s led us along a different route that day. After much patience, I was able to complete it today and my patience was well rewarded.

I had been to the Isles in 2005 via mothership, but this would be the first attempt at the open crossing. Given the benign forecast, boredom on the way out was our only real concern. That being said, we played by the book, with a complete beach briefing, etc. Complacency would not be our enemy today. So it was with great anticipation that 6 of us (Chris, Leon, Scott, Sid, Ted and myself) left Rye harbor around 11am, bound for the Shoals. No one in the group had paddled to it before so it was a new experience for all. With the conditions as forecast, a quick 4 kn paddle led us to the Shoals in about 90 minutes. We lunched at Smuttynose, taking in the scenery and enjoyed the camaraderie. I snapped a few pics and immediately uploaded to Facebook to make G jealous (I love being a weasel sometimes;))

After a leisurely break, we headed between Appledore and Smuttynose for a little rock play. Even with the conditions such as they were, there were a few good spots to play in, leading to a little surfing off of refracting waves to a couple of inadvertent seal landings (ah, friendly, thick seaweed covered rocks). All smiles and no one worse for wear. We continued around back to Star Island, proceeding from there to the east side of Lunging Island and back towards Rye. A great trip overall with amazing scenery and lots of laughs along the way. About 15 NM overall.

(Originally published on the rockpaddlesurf blog)

Thanks to Kevin for putting this one together. Considering that I had spent part of my life growing up in the Seacoast area, it was hard to believe that I had never visited the Isle of Shoals before yesterday, but couldn't have picked a finer day and the other five paddlers only added to the great paddle. Conditions were passive which was just fine by me. The visibility and clarity was about as good as we get here in the Northeast. I've been working on my foward stroke this summer which came into play as this pod of paddlers moved right along.

My big question is how did snakes get there as I had one cross the path in front of me when taking a stroll on the trails of Smuttynose?

Scott

Thanks to Kevin for putting this one together. Considering that I had spent part of my life growing up in the Seacoast area, it was hard to believe that I had never visited the Isle of Shoals before yesterday, but couldn't have picked a finer day and the other five paddlers only added to the great paddle. Conditions were passive which was just fine by me. The visibility and clarity was about as good as we get here in the Northeast. I've been working on my foward stroke this summer which came into play as this pod of paddlers moved right along.

My big question is how did snakes get there as I had one cross the path in front of me when taking a stroll on the trails of Smuttynose?

Scott

Scott,

Does it depend on how long they've been there?

http://books.google.com/books?id=bPurN6Uho...als&f=false