Salem Sound 8/30

rylevine

Kevin and I headed out at 1:00 from Tucks in Beverly. Great cool weather with maybe 1-2ft chop on open ocean 3-4 ft swells. Headed to Coney Island ledges for some nice rock play and surfing through gaps as nice organized swells hit the outside of the furthest ledge. Over to Children's for my first dumping in rocks - Kevin said that I was trying to brace in foam as a 3 footer pushed me up the side of the rock face in a narrow passage. I swam the boat out and Kevin did a quick T-rescue. We went back through the passage. I followed Kevin's example in turning the boat to the surf as it got pushed up the rock, then progressing forward on the draining part of the cycle. It took only a few cycles to get through with that technique. We then went to the east face of Children's for encounters with some beautiful breaking swells, including at least a 6 footer. We surfed these through a gap in the rocks for a beach break on the south side (encountering a PFD-less paddler in a tandem with a child! The child did have a PFD. Both Kevin and I read the 'riot act' to the Father, and he seemed sufficiently contrite.). A nice seal launch from an almost perfectly pitched beach point, and we were off to Marblehead rock where there were some really nice breaking swells, but for some reason they were hard to get an organized run on. After dodging a flotilla of sail boats, we went across to the Marblehead neck shore where there was another nice passage with 3-4ft breaking swells.

We then headed for the rock garden outside of Brown's Island for the high point of the day. A nondescript rock was sufficiently small that the swells wrapped around it and the ends met. At the join, a weird nonlinear effect was occurring. If you were lucky enough to sit in the hole of the waves at the right time, you were shot out of it like out of a canon for a good 50ft run. Is this a common phenomenon? Both Kevin and I repeated it 2-3 times before moving on to a nice formation on the north of Brown's, and then back to Salem Harbor around 5:00.

All-in-all, a great day. Thanks to Kevin for calling it.

Bob

Kevin and I headed out at 1:00 from Tucks in Beverly. Great cool weather with maybe 1-2ft chop on open ocean 3-4 ft swells. Headed to Coney Island ledges for some nice rock play and surfing through gaps as nice organized swells hit the outside of the furthest ledge. Over to Children's for my first dumping in rocks - Kevin said that I was trying to brace in foam as a 3 footer pushed me up the side of the rock face in a narrow passage. I swam the boat out and Kevin did a quick T-rescue. We went back through the passage. I followed Kevin's example in turning the boat to the surf as it got pushed up the rock, then progressing forward on the draining part of the cycle. It took only a few cycles to get through with that technique. We then went to the east face of Children's for encounters with some beautiful breaking swells, including at least a 6 footer. We surfed these through a gap in the rocks for a beach break on the south side (encountering a PFD-less paddler in a tandem with a child! The child did have a PFD. Both Kevin and I read the 'riot act' to the Father, and he seemed sufficiently contrite.). A nice seal launch from an almost perfectly pitched beach point, and we were off to Marblehead rock where there were some really nice breaking swells, but for some reason they were hard to get an organized run on. After dodging a flotilla of sail boats, we went across to the Marblehead neck shore where there was another nice passage with 3-4ft breaking swells.

We then headed for the rock garden outside of Brown's Island for the high point of the day. A nondescript rock was sufficiently small that the swells wrapped around it and the ends met. At the join, a weird nonlinear effect was occurring. If you were lucky enough to sit in the hole of the waves at the right time, you were shot out of it like out of a canon for a good 50ft run. Is this a common phenomenon? Both Kevin and I repeated it 2-3 times before moving on to a nice formation on the north of Brown's, and then back to Salem Harbor around 5:00.

All-in-all, a great day. Thanks to Kevin for calling it.

Bob

Bob,

Nice report. Here is a rough plan of the route that Bob and I traveled together. Bob paddled to Tuck from Forest River and I from the Willows. We separated once again at the Salem Harbor entrance to hear back to our own put ins. Great surf/rock day!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3146848