Anyone for a paddle tomorrow 7/26?

rossjb1

Just back from fresh water paddling in upstate NY and in need of some saltwater. Thinking about something local. Manchester, Cape Ann, etc. anyone interested? I'm open for ideas. B)

Just back from fresh water paddling in upstate NY and in need of some saltwater. Thinking about something local. Manchester, Cape Ann, etc. anyone interested? I'm open for ideas. B)

S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.

SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. PATCHY DENSE FOG IN THE MORNING. A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS AND TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON. SOME TSTMS MAY PRODUCE GUSTY

WINDS...SMALL HAIL AND HEAVY RAINFALL IN THE AFTERNOON. VSBY 1 NM

OR LESS IN THE MORNING.

:jawdrop:

:HAHApound:

Hmmmm..... On second thought! Well if a drastic change in the weather happens then I'm game.

Ross -

Let me know if you decide to paddle. If the forecast turns out to be a little overblown, I'm game too. Last weekend the 4-6 seas forecast for Saturday ended up being 0-1 foot ripples.

I'll check back about 9am to see if it's on.

Blaine

From NOAA website. Predicted wave height 2PM Sunday 1-2 feet for coastal Cape Ann. Of course thunderstorms could change that radically.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...ineDay.php#tabs

Let's check again in the morning.

From NOAA website. Predicted wave height 2PM Sunday 1-2 feet for coastal Cape Ann. Of course thunderstorms could change that radically.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...ineDay.php#tabs

Let's check again in the morning.

What are you doing up so late young man?!! <_<

I'll give a call in the AM maybe we can paddle closer around here. I was thinking of heading out to NH coast to look for some surf. (even a little would be OK) Stay in one spot and head in if there is t-storms. I'm just itching to get out. My # is 914-489-2673 if anyone wants to call to see if Blaine and I head out.

Ross

Update: The 2 of us will be heading out @ 11 to look to see if there is any surf on the NH coastline so anyone interested give a call and we can randevous, <_<rondevous, -_-rondeview :angry:rondaevous :( . :thinking: or maybe just meet up. :rolleyes: 914-489-2673

Ross

Hey Ross,

Too bad for all those folks who decided not to rendezvous (had to ask my 16 yo son -- and I've had 3 yrs of French!) with us yesterday. We had to figure out what to do with those gorgeous waves all by ourselves. The floors in my house were strangely heaving last night.

What a great day! I was sure I would endo on one of those. Many things were learned, among them: bracing is likely to fail when broadside to a breaking wave; rolling up afterwards is a sketchy proposition; after the wet exit, always stay to the seaward side of the boat you're holding onto; figure out how to get that spray skirt on FAST when relaunching in breaking surf.

Many thanks for posting. Let's do that again!

Many things were learned, among them: bracing is likely to fail when broadside to a breaking wave;

Unless you found some fabulous waves, it often works. You need to edge into the wave aggressively and reach into the wave with your paddle. You may need to use a sculling brace for extra support from time to time.

rolling up afterwards is a sketchy proposition;

Having a decent offside roll can help here. Typically if you roll towards shore (come up on the off-shore side of the boat) the waves will either help or at least not hinder. Sometimes this means trying one side and if that fails, go to the other side. I consider myself to be a mediocre roller. I have one roll. However, I do have it on both sides and I've not exited my boat in surf in quite some time. ...though that may have as much to do with the less than stellar east coast surf I keep finding as it does with my rolling. ;)

after the wet exit, always stay to the seaward side of the boat you're holding onto;

This is an important lesson! I keep nagging Emilie about it as a wave can put a lot of power into a boat, not only pushing you over but possibly injuring.

figure out how to get that spray skirt on FAST when relaunching in breaking surf.

Speed is useful. I also find that mounting up a little further out of the surf and doing a bit of a monkey walk is a useful strategy at times.

Cheers!

Ty :surfing:

oh, and one more REALLY important lesson now seared into memory: unless you're very confident of your skill with directional control in surf, stay a healthy distance from your buddy's boat!

:jawdrop:

I'm a shade pinker today, Ross is no doubt a shade or two paler.

Great pointers, Ty. Can't wait to get back out give it a try. Never occurred to me to stick my paddle INTO a wave instead of reaching for the top. And now there's added incentive to get my offside roll working.

BTW, I've always just pointed my bow straight into breakers and never had any problem.

I wanted to experiment in the surf zone so just kinda sat there at various angles including broadside to work on bracing.

I would have done the monkey walk (considered it) but the attenuated breakers were making their way onto the stone beach, no sand right there, and I couldn't bring myself to do that to my new boat. It's plastic next time.

oh, and one more REALLY important lesson now seared into memory: unless you're very confident of your skill with directional control in surf, stay a healthy distance from your buddy's boat!

Yeah... that can be a big one. On the "paddle" back from the 'Shoals a few weeks ago we had to keep a healthy distance from each other. That is also how I became a speed bump on my first NSPN trip a couple of months ago. One of the guys (one of the Ricks maybe?) was working a wave while I was paddling back out in Ipswich Bay. It looked like his boat was set to zig so I paddled the other way in an attempt to stay out of the way. Suddenly the wave took his boat for a zag instead and I was suddenly diverting a bow coming up over my deck. ...it took two roll attempts to get back up from that one.

BTW, I've always just pointed my bow straight into breakers and never had any problem. I wanted to experiment in the surf zone so just kinda sat there at various angles including broadside to work on bracing.

Spending some time paddling around in the surf and soup zone can be excellent practice. It has done wonders for some of my skills. You can also learn how to use the surf, your paddle and shifting your weight fore and aft to get your boat pointed the right way when trying to (re)launch in surf.

...still waiting for the incisions in my knee to close up so that I can get back in the water.

Cheers!

Ty