Quick and hopefully not to dirty Inner Harbor Paddle - Today?

sidcohen

It’s not forecasted to thunder today and the conditions in the harbor are light to moderate. We could get a sprinkle or two.

I’m thinking about going out and exploring the Boston Inner Harbor TODAY. Maybe around between 12 and 2 PM. I’m wondering if there just a few others that are similarly deranged ;-)

Maybe we could put in at Sing’s Beach on or near Dorchester Bay or the Public Boat Ramp in Winthrop at the causeway to Deer I. I’d like to just bomb around a little, and see some of the tall ships at dock. If that’s boring and short and I’m getting sea sick from bobbing we could visit some islands in the harbor.

I’ve been in other busy Ubran harbors with lots of summer commercial and pleasure traffic. I’ve been down the Charles to the locks but didn’t go through. I’ve been out of Winthrop before to the Graves and back, and on a fine weekday, the traffic was more than tolerable. But, I haven’t spent time in the Inner Harbor except on foot.

This would be an “Urban Paddle†plenty of noise, pollution and wakes. However I used to enjoy jamming traffic in Boston on my bike and “Urban Trekking†so this is in the same category. I thought about working as a bike messenger for moment before I saw all of the memorial websites for them. I might be crazy but not that crazy. I carry two horns, one’s a rusty can with a plastic horn, and I’ve had them fail before, and the other is a little lung operated plastic assembly, not as loud as the can but it’s good as a backup. I also practice the “Bigger and Uglier Rule†if its bigger and uglier than you just get the heck of the way.

I’ll call this a Level 3+ because you have to be on your toes, in complete control of your boat in confused and choppy water, and really be able to get out of the way in a real hurry.

If we actually do this, of course, it is a Common Adventure Trip, http://www.nspn.org/trip_participation.htm

Takers? Anything especially interesting, or scary we should look out for?

Forget about what I said about visiting islands in the Harbor if the Inner Harbor is visited from either of these proposed put-ins it's easily a 14 - 16 statute mile trip per my GPS Blue Charts just to the inner harbor and back. So some pressue to leave earlier and for faster paddlers to join too. Very short notice but maybe worth a try.

Takers? Anything especially interesting, or scary we should look out for?

If you can launch from the schrafts building in Charlestown (see other post) it would make it a 6 or 7 mile paddle around the inner harbor.