Lanes Cove to the Salvages (7/6)

bazzert

I couldnt resist Jeff's offer of an after work paddle monday night. It was proof that you can still get a decent paddle in after work during the week and especially because the forecast for the rest of the week is not great. Dee, Dana, Jeff and I left Lanes cove under clear skies, light winds and bright sunshine. We headed north, rounded Halibut point for the 3 mile crossing to the salvages. We arrived out there about 6:30 which was our turn around time to be back by sunset (8:24). The paddle back with the sun setting lower in the sky illuminating the coast in that finest of Cape Ann light was sublime.

We arrived at Lanes just after 8. Probably because I had earlier made a crack about the "old guard" Jeff had been haranguing me to try a reenter and paddle float roll self rescue; I finally succumbed and performed a "marginal" (Jeff's words) reenter which highlighted some deficiencies in my equipment and practice. Definitely something I will be practicing at the next skills session.

Total distance was 11 miles.

Thanks everyone for a great trip.

Barry.

salvages.th.jpg

sublime, indeed !!!

did I say marginal ??? shame on me. you did get up, right ?

as for harassing you to practice rescues, it had nothing to do with your old guard comments. anybody without a roll (like me), or with a fair roll which can still blow out under pressure (most of NSPN), NEEDS to have several self-rescue options tested under conditions if you ever paddle solo, which you admitted to. it was a fine relaxing evening, perfect for practicing such. practicing out past the breakwater with a foot or two of seas would have been even better....perhaps next time.

a fine evening, thanks to all.

did I say marginal ??? shame on me. you did get up, right ?

It was definitely marginal and useful lesson! I'll take you up on your offer of a more challenging environment next time.

Barry.

It was definitely marginal and useful lesson! I'll take you up on your offer of a more challenging environment next time.

Barry.

A great reason to learn a reliable roll is surfing. Surfing is a great way to practice your roll. :surfing:

My experience learning to manage a fast tandem in rough water has lead me to suspect that my roll is better than my balance. :thinking:

Cheers!

Ty

It's even more fun to roll a double! You and Emilie should try. :D

Deb and I have rolled a borrowed double.

At one of the NH pool sessions last year Billy and I rolled a Necky double on both sides.

The stern paddler has to watch the bow paddler to initiate the roll. Other than that it's straightforward.

Cheers!

Bob

It's even more fun to roll a double! You and Emilie should try. :D

Deb and I have rolled a borrowed double.

At one of the NH pool sessions last year Billy and I rolled a Necky double on both sides.

The stern paddler has to watch the bow paddler to initiate the roll. Other than that it's straightforward.

Cheers!

Bob

We do! ...and in surf were watching the bow paddler isn't really an option.

We have a system that seems to allow Emilie to follow my lead and an agreement on which side we will roll. ...yes, we can roll on both sides. :D

If/when we can find time between preparing for an attempt that the Blackburn and Emilie becoming an AMC leader for climbing trips, I'm sure I could do a demo sometime.

If anyone on this board feels that they have a solid combat roll in a tandem, I'd love to hear what methods are used. What we've come up with seems to be working pretty well, but we've only needed to roll in anger once so far.

Cheers!

Ty

Were there seals with pups at the Salvages?

--David

seals were scarce, I didn't even see one (the other three folks did). i don't know if it was the time of day, the time of tide, or just bad luck - usually there are lots out there.

seals were scarce, I didn't even see one (the other three folks did). i don't know if it was the time of day, the time of tide, or just bad luck - usually there are lots out there.

Good -- maybe we can get in there and play now. Did you guys have any time for that?

--David.