Portsmouth radius spontaneous paddles

jtmllr

I live in Greenland, NH between Rt 33 and Great Bay. I'm currently in temporary retirement (i.e. between jobs and intending to take several months off from 6/09) and am in the preliminary stages of Corporate detox and trying to make the best of my time off. I make almost all my daily decisions based on the weather. Dry and not too hot = mountain biking, clear and not too hot = hiking, all but excessive wind and t-storms and I paddle. Being hot and/or wet these days means I'm doing a lot of kayaking. I prefer salt water paddles, whether that means Great Bay, Little Harbor area, tidal rivers, or Rye. I have no reason not to do any paddles from Boston to Portland and beyond, too. I'm sending in my MITA membership so soon I'll be able to paddle to any of those islands within personal limits. Lakes are OK - big water is great no matter what - but I live by the ocean on purpose! I'm open to meet for paddles whenever, and I'll be going out regardless. Given sufficient notice I can put my second J-bar on to do one-way paddles with staged cars on both ends. I have more than enough gear to live outside for the rest of my life, so overnights and longer are on the table. I'm a Type 3ish paddler so I'm not marketing myself as an adventure leader, just another person to paddle with who can take care of himself. When I finally succumb to reemployment I'm still open to evening paddles and weekends, 4 season. Contact info is in my member profile. Jeff.

Hello, Jeff,

I second Jon's welcome!

If you watch this Trips section, you'll soon find that we do a lot of day trips in the Seacoast area, from Odiorne Point, Pierce's Island in downtown Portsmouth, and Kittery, Maine. There are also lake sessions in Kingston and in Amesbury which are good places to get to know some of the local paddlers. The Kingston session meets in Hampton harbor on alternate weeks for surf practice when the tide serves. Watch the calendar.

Cheers,

Rob

The weekly skills sessions are a major plus and I intend to make most of those. The other trips in the calendar are good too, however I'm going to be deciding to paddle the same day. For instance, today is to be calm albeit rainy, so I've decided over my morning coffee that I'm going to Odiorne to launch and maybe putt around the harbor and cross to the Maine side and see what's up. If other people have free time during the day and would like to paddle vs. wait for people to get out of work or a future date on the calendar, I'm presenting myself as someone to do that with. As I said, I'm going anyway and can meet up almost as easily as going solo. Probably 1/10th of 1 percent of people have the flexibility that I do but I'm putting it out there nonetheless. There could be teachers, laid off people, etc. that don't care what day or time it is either (except to check tide tables.)

I live in Greenland, NH between Rt 33 and Great Bay. I'm currently in temporary retirement (i.e. between jobs and intending to take several months off from 6/09) and am in the preliminary stages of Corporate detox and trying to make the best of my time off. I make almost all my daily decisions based on the weather. Dry and not too hot = mountain biking, clear and not too hot = hiking, all but excessive wind and t-storms and I paddle. Being hot and/or wet these days means I'm doing a lot of kayaking. I prefer salt water paddles, whether that means Great Bay, Little Harbor area, tidal rivers, or Rye. I have no reason not to do any paddles from Boston to Portland and beyond, too. I'm sending in my MITA membership so soon I'll be able to paddle to any of those islands within personal limits. Lakes are OK - big water is great no matter what - but I live by the ocean on purpose! I'm open to meet for paddles whenever, and I'll be going out regardless. Given sufficient notice I can put my second J-bar on to do one-way paddles with staged cars on both ends. I have more than enough gear to live outside for the rest of my life, so overnights and longer are on the table. I'm a Type 3ish paddler so I'm not marketing myself as an adventure leader, just another person to paddle with who can take care of himself. When I finally succumb to reemployment I'm still open to evening paddles and weekends, 4 season. Contact info is in my member profile. Jeff.

Hi, Jeff,

My name is Dan Lake, and I am also a newby. Retired and love to do longer trips. Have done L. Champlain, South to North, and partially circumnavigation of Isle Royale, plus numerous inland lakes. Would love to do 4-5 days up around Rangely Lake or whatever, even a week on Moosehead.

Gary York forwarded your message to me. Reply to me directly, since I don't often check the NSPN Bulletin Board. I live in Exeter. email: danlake45@gmail.com

Thanks, Dan

Also in the Exeter area, with a flexible schedule.... Mostly a solo paddler, though I like paddling around this area with other folks. Paddle Great Bay often when I'm home.

Also been doing some of the big lakes up in western Maine along the Northern Forest Canoe trail. Just came back from a a few days on Flagstaff Lake feeding the mosquitos and a few days of paddling The Moose River up by Jackman Maine... looking for Moose of course!

Nice eagles and what not up through there as well.

If the weather ever breaks I'll try and catch up with you et al

If the weather ever breaks I'll try and catch up with you et al

If you are a Medium, I've got a dry top you can borrow to paddle and several waterproof hats. My formula produces kayaking as the activity of the day if it is hot or rainy. Rain subdues the heat and bugs too, so not all bad. If the ducks don't care, I'm not going to either. Monkeys are over fowl in the evolution hierarchy, and I'm a monkey with a dry suit. Ducks can fly away when the lightning comes though. I have to do my best imitation with my Werner wings.

These past 8 days of camping in the rain, leaves me wanting the sun. (Ok might have had a peek at the sun one of those days)

Seems I can paddle in the rain most anytime....sunshine... now that would be something novel...