NSPN Solistice Paddle + Party 2009

Bill H

Ok, I'm new to shutterfly, but here goes... Click here to see my pics of the each pod heading out, the first leg of the L2 trip to Dolliber Cove, and of course the Party in the fog afterwards!!

http://hopefloatspaddles.shutterfly.com/27

Great L2 paddle and yet another glorious potluck post paddle pig-out! Lots of smiling faces after several North Shore Excursions Around the Bay! Great Day!

:douglas::jenni::kayak::dennis::kayak-surfer::paddleersmilie:

:drinkinBuddies::1537::smiley_cheers:

Special thanks to all who initiated and supported the various trips, all the wonderful company, the amazing contributions to the potluck and those who helped clean up at the end too!!

Can't wait for the next adventure! It felt good to be back on the water with great paddle-folk!

My pics of the L3 trip are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tyson.sawyer/2...feat=directlink

Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the most "exciting" crossings. ...something about hands on the paddle and eyes on the horizon. I didn't think that pictures of the under side of the waves would be very interesting. ;-)

There is a screen shot of the GPS track in the pictures. If you'd like to look at the track data directly, try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/nnyjmu

It is worth noting that Eagle Island doesn't show in the "satellite" view of google maps and the "Dry Breakers" that are SE of South Gooseberry show only in the satellite view.

I post at a rather low resolution. If anyone would like originals, contact me.

It was a great trip with great people. I look forward to paddling with NSPN for a 3rd time! :-)

Cheers!

Ty

Dag nab it! It looks like I used the wrong time offset when geotagging the photos with the gps data. They are all off by 1 hour of travel. I'll see if I can get that fixed.

I seem to be having trouble defeating some of google/picasa's caching or something. The photos are now correctly tagged on my system, but even if I delete the old album and upload it again with a new name, about have the photos are showing (for me at least) in the wrong location.

The album is now here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tyson.sawyer/2...feat=directlink

There is a chance that people pulling it up new will get it correctly given how file caching can work.

...yes, I deleted my local browser cache.

Dag nab it! It looks like I used the wrong time offset when geotagging the photos with the gps data. They are all off by 1 hour of travel. I'll see if I can get that fixed.

Ty,

Do you have a total distance calculation? Seems about 12 miles?

Ern

Ty,

Do you have a total distance calculation? Seems about 12 miles?

Ern

The track seems to be 13.1 miles long, including a tour around the "Dry Breakers" and the aborted start around the east side of Bakers Island.

Great paddle yesterday. Thanks to everyone for making it another great NSPN trip! Let's hope the rain subsides and we can do it again soon (not that a little water would scare US off).

Anne

"The track seems to be 13.1 miles long, including a tour around the "Dry Breakers" and the aborted start around the east side of Bakers Island."

Ty or others-I'd like to know more about the reasons for the aborted track around Bakers. Four of us were on the lee side so didn't know what happened. Was it a CAM group decision to backtrack? One or more strong leaders? This may in fact have been the most "interesting" part of the whole trip to relate to others-I'd like to know more.

Ty or others-I'd like to know more about the reasons for the aborted track around Bakers. Four of us were on the lee side so didn't know what happened. Was it a CAM group decision to backtrack? One or more strong leaders? This may in fact have been the most "interesting" part of the whole trip to relate to others-I'd like to know more.

Some of the group where having difficulty with the winds and substantial seas and chop. Boat loading/balance may have been a factor in some cases. It was a very rough ride and progress was slow. It would have taken us quite a bit of time to continue the way we were going. With his experience and wisdom, Rick "suggested" that it would be prudent to retreat to the lee side.

It took the group about 12-13 minutes to get to the point that we turned around and about 5 minutes to retrace. The speed difference was considerable; about 1.5mph vs 3.2mph. The paddling on the lee side was flat and speedy.

A small group of strong paddlers without time concerns would have been fine. However, with such a large group turning around was the correct decision.

Cheers!

Ty

"The track seems to be 13.1 miles long, including a tour around the "Dry Breakers" and the aborted start around the east side of Bakers Island."

Hi Gene,

No drama, really. The conditions were increasingly demanding as we turned around the corner of Bakers with strong head winds and confused 2-4 foot swells. Some of us where having a hard time either catching up or handling our boats in the mixed swell and strong winds. I know for myself, I literally got a mouthful of water as spray went over my head from the force of the winds and swells.

Truly CAM -- Rick asked is everyone agreed to turn back -- and we all agreed by voicing our decision. No arm twisting, no "strong leaders" upstaging the rest of the group members--just wise decision-making on the part of fellow paddlers. We prioritized safety over adventure and, turned around.

Smart group of paddlers.

Les

AKA Swearing Ferret

I seem to be having trouble defeating some of google/picasa's caching or something.

I couldn't stand it so I've hand edited the incorrect photo locations on Picasa. They are all now at least close to correct. :headBang:

Ty