Thursday 6/25

rossjb1

I've got Thursday off so I was thinking about heading out for a level 3 or possibly level 4 paddle. Something around Manchester (L3) or possibly circumnav Cape Ann (L4). I'm open for ideas. Put them up here, we can come to a consensus and then repost the definitive trip.

Ross

Dana and I are planning on launching from Tucks point@ 10:00 to explore the Islands. Nothing too strenuous (L3 paddle). We'll probably play around in some of the rocks, work on skills, boat handling etc.

Ross

Hey Ross, I've lured another couple of paddler's away from their livelihoods. Rob Hazard & Bob Cornell will join us tomorrow. Would you be willing/able to put in at 9:30 instead of 10:00? Bob has somewhere to be tomorrow afternoon and it would give him a little more time. Let us know and if not we'll just be there for 10:00 as planned.

Dana

I've got Thursday off so I was thinking about heading out for a level 3 or possibly level 4 paddle. Something around Manchester (L3) or possibly circumnav Cape Ann (L4). I'm open for ideas. Put them up here, we can come to a consensus and then repost the definitive trip.

Ross

Hey Ross, I've lured another couple of paddler's away from their livelihoods. Rob Hazard & Bob Cornell will join us tomorrow. Would you be willing/able to put in at 9:30 instead of 10:00? Bob has somewhere to be tomorrow afternoon and it would give him a little more time. Let us know and if not we'll just be there for 10:00 as planned.

Dana

Great! You know gainful employmnent is overrated anyway. Of course I am lucky, being a teacher I have summers off. B) 9:30 is Fine

Ross

Ross and company,

I would also like to attend tomorrow's journey/skills etc. If that's OK I need a little additional info for the put-in location. 9:30 also sounds great for me.

Laura

Ross and company,

I would also like to attend tomorrow's journey/skills etc. If that's OK I need a little additional info for the put-in location. 9:30 also sounds great for me.

Laura

Tucks Point in Manchester everyone. Laura I got your message late if your interested give a call

914-489-2673 Ross

W WINDS AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING S IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS

2 TO 4 FT. AREAS OF DRIZZLE AND PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY

1 TO 3 NM.

I think its going to be a good day on the water a dreary, foggy, drizzly, a little ocean swell. Perfect New England paddling weather!

Tucks Point in Manchester everyone. Laura I got your message late if your interested give a call

914-489-2673 Ross

W WINDS AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING S IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS

2 TO 4 FT. AREAS OF DRIZZLE AND PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY

1 TO 3 NM.

I think its going to be a good day on the water a dreary, foggy, drizzly, a little ocean swell. Perfect New England paddling weather!

Wish I could make it. But meanwhile, who's been paying attention? NOAA says 2-4', but what's the likely swell height around the Miseries at noon Thursday? Explain the difference. Hint -- what's the predicted swell direction at that vicinity and time?

--David.

Wish I could make it. But meanwhile, who's been paying attention? NOAA says 2-4', but what's the likely swell height around the Miseries at noon Thursday? Explain the difference. Hint -- what's the predicted swell direction at that vicinity and time?

--David.

Well it looks as if high tide is at around 2:10.

swell (I think) is heading northwesterly. Your big "but" (see above "NOAA says 2-4', but") is making me thinks :thinking: Will the tide be pushing those swells in making for more than a "little" ocean swell at around noon? Dave, am I on the right track here? We'll be heading out around 10:00 so I will keep that in mind and be careful. We'll see tomorrow. Dave thanks for the post.

Ross

Well it looks as if high tide is at around 2:10.

swell (I think) is heading northwesterly. Your big "but" (see above "NOAA says 2-4', but") is making me thinks :thinking: Will the tide be pushing those swells in making for more than a "little" ocean swell at around noon? Dave, am I on the right track here? We'll be heading out around 10:00 so I will keep that in mind and be careful. We'll see tomorrow. Dave thanks for the post.

Ross

Interesting analysis. Well, you'll be there -- tell us what you saw.

--David.

Interesting analysis. Well, you'll be there -- tell us what you saw.

--David.

"Interesting analysis" hmmm...sounds like a polite way of saying that I'm off a little. ^_^ Yes tomorrow we'll see. Stay tuned.

Ross

Could someone refresh my memory on directions to the Tuck's Point launch? I know it's on the west side of Manchester harbor, but I forget the street to take.

This is the place where we have to park off in the corner to avoid getting ticketed by the Manchester police, right?

Rob

Big swells! Loads of fun!

Ross

Great... congrats! And sorry I couldn't make it.

Interesting -- the NOAA experimental site shows 3' in that area now, which is up from before. That site does not explicitly show swell direction, but it looks from the pattern that the direction moved more to E or even a bit ENE, from SE. WetSand is still showing more SE. But SwellInfo is showing due E, which would explain it. I can't find the swell direction on MagicSeaweed, but the other two out of three are enough.

Shows how (a) relatively small variations in swell direction can, in some circumstances, make a big difference inside bays and other potentially shadowed areas; (B) there's still quite a bit of variation in different models.