June 14 - Sunday - Odiorne-NH - 10:30 Launch

Suz

Come join me for a trip out of Odiorne on Sunday with a 10:30 launch. Conditions will dictate the route but the plan will be to head out for a paddle along the NH coast.

This area of the coast has a lovely rocky shoreline and if you are planning on skirting the rocks, please also plan on using a helmet.

Post your interest here.

Suz

Info on the launch site:

http://www.nspn.org/put_ins.htm

Seavey Creek/Odiorne

A popular put-in in the Portsmouth area (Rye, NH) is Seavey Creek, just before Odiorne State Park. From the North or West, head S on Rte 1 at the traffic circle. Travel 2.0 miles(you will cross Sagamore Creek), and turn left onto Elwyn Road at the traffic light. Travel 1.4 miles to Foyes Corner, and proceed straight on Rte. 1A (Pioneer Rd) for 1.1 miles to Seavey Creek. There is free, sometimes congested parking on the near side of the Creek, and the launch is muddy. A $5 parking/launch fee is charged at the lot on the far side of the Creek, but there is a gradual cement launching surface.

Suz,

I'm new to this group. My fiancee and I are solid level 3 paddlers. We are currently planning to put in at the same place on Sunday with our tandem. We had in mind covering most of 20 miles of level 2+ water probably going north along the Maine coast. You haven't described what sort of trip you have in mind so I'm not sure if we are a fit.

Cheers!

Ty

The Bridge at Odiorne Rt. 1A was closed for rebuilding but is now open. Unfortunately the launch area is not as big now on the West side of the Bridge. There was still quite a bit of construction equiptment in the Odiorne parking lot near the boat ramp last weekend but I think it is open for launching as well.

Suz,

I'm new to this group. My fiancee and I are solid level 3 paddlers. We are currently planning to put in at the same place on Sunday with our tandem. We had in mind covering most of 20 miles of level 2+ water probably going north along the Maine coast. You haven't described what sort of trip you have in mind so I'm not sure if we are a fit.

Cheers!

Ty

Hi Ty,

Good question, the answer lies in that I said it will be a level 3 trip. You may find that your pace in a tandem is greater than the "norm" for a group paddle. We will be coast hugging and the direction will be determined that morning depending on actual conditions and predicted wind/weather direction.

Here are the NSPN guidelines for trip level ratings:

http://www.nspn.org/paddle_levels.htm

Level 3 would be conditions UP TO the following:

Wind-15 knots

Waves/Chop-2 feet

Surf- 2 feet

Current 2 knots

Distance 15 miles

Paddling may involve limited exposure to open ocean with access to sheltered water or landing near at hand (less than one mile).

Paddling Skills - Forward, reverse, sweep. Correcting and boat handling strokes. Solid bracing

Rescue: Wet exit, paddle float self rescue, partner rescue

Pace: 2-3 knots

If your goals match mine, please join me.

Thanks,

Suz

Hi Ty,

Good question, the answer lies in that I said it will be a level 3 trip.

Hmmm... I still don't see it. The message board must be filtering that part out for my view.

Anyway, sounds great! Emilie and I will be in a white Subaru Outback with a kevlar (no paint) K2. If we are really ambitious Sunday, we might show up early and then meet back at the ramp at 10:30.

Cheers!

Ty

Hmmm... I still don't see it. The message board must be filtering that part out for my view.

Anyway, sounds great! Emilie and I will be in a white Subaru Outback with a kevlar (no paint) K2. If we are really ambitious Sunday, we might show up early and then meet back at the ramp at 10:30.

Cheers!

Ty

Silly me, I think I meant to write that it will be a level 3 trip. Good thing you gave me the opportunity to clarify by questioning!

Suz

Suz,

Due to the thunderstorms that are still in the forecast this morning, Emilie and I won't be coming today. Hopefully we'll see you on an other trip soon.

Thanks!

Ty

Suz,

Due to the thunderstorms that are still in the forecast this morning, Emilie and I won't be coming today. Hopefully we'll see you on an other trip soon.

Thanks!

Ty

Hi Ty,

Thanks for the e-mail and notice. I agree - T-Storms moving through so, will do this another day.

Suz

Hi Ty,

Thanks for the e-mail and notice. I agree - T-Storms moving through so, will do this another day.

Suz

Okay. A gloomy paddle in the fog and drizzle has its charms, but Thunderstorms frighten me. Another day it is. Thanks for initiating and updates.

Peter

Hi Suz,

I've never paddled out of Odiorne, so this sounds like a fine trip. I'm grilling for 40 at Perrine's grad party today after 4PM so couldn't join you anyway; but if YOU are free come on down for my infamous 17 spice North African chicken, as well all of Ellen's stuff...she's been cooking for two days!

Ern

PS Peter, you're invited too...and David, and Leon...Gene...oh hell...everybody!