Volvo Ocean Race on May 16

MPARSONS

Would anyone be interested in the Boston Harbor Islands on Saturday to watch the sailboats leave for the next leg of the trip to Galway? I think they are scheduled to leave at 1pm, so I was thinking of launching around 11:30 and paddling over to Spectacle Island or Long Island for lunch and then watching the...um...spectacle. We could watch from the island or the water, depending on how crazy the boat traffic looked. I'm sure the water will be busy, so I was thinking a launch from South Boston (either City Point or the boat ramp on Morrissey Boulevard) would minimize the channel crossings.

The conditions are expected to be mild (5 to 10 knot winds, seas less than one foot). The distance will probably be only about 5 nautical miles, depending on exactly which launch site and which island we choose. The biggest challenge will be the potential boat traffic and, of course, the water temp.

I'm a big fan of the boat launch on Morrissey Boulevard because there is more parking than could ever fill up. If no one responds, that is where I'll be launching from.

Marc-

Can't join you, but sounds like fun. I think they're planning on a course out of S. Boston and then over towards Charlestown before leaving the inner harbor (my memory of their facebook announcement). Don't know if that helps your plan but it might give you more time to get out towards one of the outer islands.

Phil