Mystic River Shake-Out Paddle Sunday: 5/10

alcoons

Shake-out cruise on the Upper Mystic River for those who are comfortable with their boat and gear. Maybe 10 miles.

Either:

A. Starting at the Lower Mystic Lake and going down down and back, or

B. at the Executive Office Location in Medford (anyone know the right name for that and the parking situation on Sunday?) and going up and back?

An early season paddle to get the cobwebs out, find out what gear the cat bartered for mice, get muscles and butt in gear, and to enjoy a nice day. Launch at 10 AM perhaps and take-out by 2 PM. Not a fast pace but designed for ocean paddlers who can maintain an even pace.

Lunch somewhere, sometime.

Please post interest here and any suggestions. Will post a more formal trip announcement when I see your feedback.

Al

Cetus

Red/White

An early season paddle to get the cobwebs out

Where have you been ?

Seriously, I am interested but it's pending some delicate negotiations (it's Mothers day after all!).

Another option might be to launch from the Blessing of the Bay Boathouse at 32 Shore Drive, Somerville, Massachusetts. A 10 mile paddle from there would put us under the Tobin into the upper reaches of Boston harbor, allowing a spin past the USS Cassin Young and USS Constitution. I'll try and stop by the boathouse today or tomorrow to make sure we can in fact launch from there.

Barry.

Where have you been ?

Seriously, I am interested but it's pending some delicate negotiations (it's Mothers day after all!).

Another option might be to launch from the Blessing of the Bay Boathouse at 32 Shore Drive, Somerville, Massachusetts. A 10 mile paddle from there would put us under the Tobin into the upper reaches of Boston harbor, allowing a spin past the USS Cassin Young and USS Constitution. I'll try and stop by the boathouse today or tomorrow to make sure we can in fact launch from there.

Barry.

Sounds interesting Barry. Glad you are going to look into it.

My only concerns are:

1) the temperature of water down there given who might come,

2) and dealing with tide and current.

Understood. I'll let you know what I find out about the boat house and we can plan a future trip from there.

Barry.

I am not against going from there Sunday. Just depends on who is coming.

Al

Guess Celebrating Mom takes precedence. No trip.

Hi Al,

We ended up going down to fan pier to watch the Volvo Ocean in-port racing. The wind was really wild with whitecaps on the harbor so it would probably have been pretty hairy for a shake out paddle!

However, I did checkout the Blessing of the Bay boathouse at 32 Shore Drive, Somerville. This is a public DCR ramp with parking for about 30 cars. It is a concrete ramp (consider yourself warned!).

It would be a good launch spot if you were interested in exploring upper Boston harbor. You will have to negotiate the Amelia Earhardt dam which is probably a portage (never done it, so would be interested in the experience of others).

Barry.

However, I did checkout the Blessing of the Bay boathouse at 32 Shore Drive, Somerville. This is a public DCR ramp with parking for about 30 cars. It is a concrete ramp (consider yourself warned!).

It would be a good launch spot if you were interested in exploring upper Boston harbor. You will have to negotiate the Amelia Earhardt dam which is probably a portage (never done it, so would be interested in the experience of others).

You can go through the locks -- no need to portage. Just wait for it to open in your direction, go in, hang onto the side, and exit when the doors open. It's a lot like the Charles River Dam.