The Graves Sat 4/18

bazzert

Lorrie, Phil, Bob and I launched on the harbor side from Deer Island. The forecast called for 5 to 10 knots of wind, seas less than 1 foot and temps in low 60's. It was overcast, creating a grey mirror like surface on the entirely flat sea. There was virtually no boat traffic so it was a serene paddle out to Calf Island, crossing the channel at Red "10" to the mid channel marker and then Green "13". After lunch, we poked north, threading through the rocks at Little Calf Island before contemplating the open crossing to the Graves. By now the breeze had freshened and there was a light chop; but nothing too daunting and we plowed on, making the 1.8 mile crossing in less than 30 minutes.

At the Graves we went around the outside (except Phil who rode some surf through a cut) and spotted numerous seals, some hauled out on the rocks, others eying us suspiciously from the water. Bob and Phil made future plans to camp on the platform, as wild and inhospitable a place you could find this close to Boston. Tearing Lorrie away from the seals, we headed SSW towards Boston light for a little over a mile, taking the somewhat confused seas on the beam before heading almost due west, putting the seas and the light wind directly astearn affording a nice downhill run with some small surf for the 5 miles back to Deer Island. By now the sun had made an appearance, creating some magic light on the water and giving me a mild sun burn (who thinks of sunscreen in april?).

By the numbers, 13.5 statute miles, over half the time at 4-5 mph and 27% at 5-6 mph. All in all a great paddle with great company and a great start to the season.

Barry

winthropthegraves.th.jpg

We were at times beset with ferry cats (one named Freedom) that were meandering in and out of the channels on what must have been harbour cruises. Knowing how these beasts can move when carting people to/from P'town, etc. we more than once played what seemed like a game of chicken, though all of it at a safe distance at the slow pace they held.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the call, and indeed I wanted to accompany you on this trip. I apparently tore the TFCC in my right wrist, with no healing in the past month, so I'm going to have to start paddling gingerly on the Lake this week and see how it goes.

See you soon.

Ern

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the call, and indeed I wanted to accompany you on this trip. I apparently tore the TFCC in my right wrist, with no healing in the past month, so I'm going to have to start paddling gingerly on the Lake this week and see how it goes.

See you soon.

Ern

Sorry to hear that Ernie, let me know if you want to get out on the lakes some evening this week.

Barry.