Cape Porpoise... in the fog

spider

Hit the water with Kevin for what turned out to be one of the most relaxing paddling I have had in ages.

Excellent time to practice navigating in the fog (though some could say I've been in a fog for years)

Basically we set out and and went clockwise visiting the various islands nearby. Couldn't much see beyond 50 yards give or take.

So it was with much pleasure to see lot's of seals almost instantly as soon as we started.

I think the fog brought the seals closer for a better look at us.

The whole scene looked very ethereal, with various waterfowl (Buffleheads Loons, Eiderducks, etc)

floating in and out of view.

But the show stopper of all was the...Snowy Owl...sitting on the roof of the roof of what would have been the lightkeeper house on Goat Island.

Excellent view, I would have missed the whole thing as I blah blahed about who knows what.

Kevin spotted it, not overly far from us, seemingly completely uninterested in anything to do with us. Owls are always a big treat and a snowy Owl on an Island in late March was a treat indeed.!!

Moving on, we poked our heads out onto the more exposed side of the islands once or twice, and though we could have cranked it up a notch dodging the various breakers.

We thought it wiser not to "push the envolope". While it was probably doable, the thinking was pretty much this way...exposed, in the fog, with no clear view of where the waves were building, it would be more prudent to scout about on more protected water.

Not so much what we could do, but more of what would be the wise thing to do for us at that time, and save the play for another day.

I know others were going to paddle down around York so ,of course, I'm wondering how they made out.

We never got the sunny day, but a fine day to be on the water none the less....and of course did I mention the Owl again and again...?

Thought I would update this after doing a little more home work.

Reading the MITA Guidebook (2006) for Stage Island it states that

"the northeast side of the islands is a seal rookery in the spring, so please give this side a wide berth"

I would say in the fog it was the inhabitants of the rookery that we met.

as a rule of thumb we try to give seals a lot of "elbow room" (if only they had elbows...)

On a clear day we might have figured it out, but just thought I would mention it.... I don't know how late their season runs....

other than that

Apparently Cape Porpoise used to be the beggining of the Maine Island Trail. Reading an account of the start of his journey Reinhard Zollitsch he mentioned starting his trip at the Boat Landing at Tattle Corner on the Saco River instead, so I went for a drive looking for that.

I did find a nice public Boat Ramp not to far up rte 9. When I talked to some local folks they refered to it as the Marblehead Boat Ramp, and mentioned that the ebb was pretty strong, looked promising though. I'd be curious if others are using it or if there is a launch right near Biddeford Pool that people use? I ddn't see one but it's shown on the Maine Atlas

Apparently Cape Porpoise used to be the beggining of the Maine Island Trail.

I may well be wrong, but I believe only recently was this area added to the trail. The problem is that it is a long day from this area to the islands in Casco Bay and launch sites are not all that inviting. So people tend not to visit the area when "doing the trail".

I'd be curious if others are using it or if there is a launch right near Biddeford Pool that people use? I ddn't see one but it's shown on the Maine Atlas

There is a place where you can launch at the very end or opening of the Biddeford Pool. Its at the end of a street and it is a very small town park with parking for at most a handful of cars. You can use it to visit islands like Stage as well, but I would consider it an off season site. Still, its there, free, and a nice spot with ice cream nearby. I believe it is called Vines Park or Landing. If you find a little park with roses and a bell, that is it. The Saco has a strong current in the spring so using the large public ramp upstream might well involve some effort then.

Normally the issue with seals is problem of separating pups from mothers which is often fatal for pups, but I think it is early for birthing. Not disturbing seals when they are hauled out is surprisingly hard to do as they react more strongly to kayaks than larger craft even at 100+ meters.

Ed Lawson

Especially in the winter months the seals are a slim budget of calories. If they are on the rocks and you approach they can be driven to the water. It is definitely neat when the come out to "greet you" but it is best to stay far enough away so they remain on the rocks. If they are driven to the water it reduces their survival rate due to heat loss to the water.

Great luck seeing the owl.

Not disturbing seals when they are hauled out is surprisingly hard to do as they react more strongly to kayaks than larger craft even at 100+ meters.

A buddy once told me that seals are more apt to launch if you stop or slow to watch, versus continuing to paddle at a regular cadence. I suspect this might be true, but only outside their "comfort distance", which I suspect, as Ed suggests, is >100m, based on my half-vast (say it fast) experience?

A buddy once told me that seals are more apt to launch if you stop or slow to watch, versus continuing to paddle at a regular cadence. I suspect this might be true, but only outside their "comfort distance", which I suspect, as Ed suggests, is >100m, based on my half-vast (say it fast) experience?

Hmm, there might be something to that (just speculating here). Of the numerous times I have come across seals while kayaking, they invariably have jumped into the water upon slowing down, even those where I have been quite a distance away. I haven't tried just continuing at the same pace. I have noticed that they do not react to other boaters at the mouth of the Merrimac. Can anyone elaborate on this idea?

As for the seals this weekend, we never saw them on the rocks. In fact, they seemed to have found us that day. As it was the flood we were on, they were most likely just coming into the Cape.

Spider, I imagine the error is that of MITA: wouldn't the inhabitants of a rookery be...rooks? I don't know what you call a haul-out place for seals; but I think they are wrong!

You are, of course, precisely correct. Though this no doubt grates roughly upon your sensibilities regarding the English language, in common usage the term "rookery" is applied to colonies of seals and other animals. Doubtless a debased usage, but regretfully an accepted one is some netherworlds of society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookery

Ed Lawson

Thought I would update this after doing a little more home work.

Reading the MITA Guidebook (2006) for Stage Island it states that

"the northeast side of the islands is a seal rookery in the spring, so please give this side a wide berth"

I would say in the fog it was the inhabitants of the rookery that we met.

as a rule of thumb we try to give seals a lot of "elbow room" (if only they had elbows...)

On a clear day we might have figured it out, but just thought I would mention it.... I don't know how late their season runs....

other than that

Apparently Cape Porpoise used to be the beggining of the Maine Island Trail. Reading an account of the start of his journey Reinhard Zollitsch he mentioned starting his trip at the Boat Landing at Tattle Corner on the Saco River instead, so I went for a drive looking for that.

I did find a nice public Boat Ramp not to far up rte 9. When I talked to some local folks they refered to it as the Marblehead Boat Ramp, and mentioned that the ebb was pretty strong, looked promising though. I'd be curious if others are using it or if there is a launch right near Biddeford Pool that people use? I ddn't see one but it's shown on the Maine Atlas

MITA used to start at East End Beach in Portland and for those traditionalists like me, it still does---extending it to Cape Porpoise was an impertinence---also it ends in Machias---The Maine Island Trail in New Brunswick is a contradiction in terms

..kinda like trying to pin down the Appalachian Trail....some say Maine some say New Foundland...and beyound. I was thinking the Island Trail started down by Kittery by now...?

..just as an aside.... I did just join, this past fall, the St Lawrence FQCK (Federaton du Quebecoise du Canoe et Kayak).

They have modeled the Quebec Blue Route or "Route Bleue," on the Maine Island Trail, a true compliment indeed!!

The Maine Island Trail is a great inspiration for lots of groups and organizations.