April 5th Boston Harbor tour.

jason

I am planning on leading a paddle from City Point to Graves light April 5th. This trip was originally scheduled for Dec 7 but the gale warning caused it to be canceled.

Please RSVP if you are interested in the trip as I will only run the trip if we have the appropriate interest. Please RSVP (jason at kates dot org) with your contact information and emergency contact information. If you don't get a response to my e-mail within 48 hours please PM me.

If I haven't paddled with you, please let me know the type of paddling you have done, that you have done a wet exit and the type of boat that you will be bringing.

This will be a ~15nm trip that will require dry suits and spare warm clothing.

Everybody should plan on bringing head lamps and proper boat lighting as we will be getting off the water just after 17:00 if we stick with the following plan.

Small craft warnings will cancel this trip, I will e-mail by 06:30 the day of the trip anybody who has properly RSVP'd if we are to cancel for weather.

This is my proposed route, which I reserve the right to update during the course of the paddle:

Meeting at the parking lot at 09:00.

Launch at 9:30AM from City Point Beach.

Leave with a compass heading of 180 for 1.75nm (35 Minutes)

This should put us on the south side Thompson island.

From the south side of Thompson island we change our heading to 100 deg for 3.5nm (70 Minutes). This course will head under the bridge between Moon and Long island. We must take care to avoid boat and ferry traffic. At low tide there are bridge pilings just at the water level on the left that can put holes in boats. After going under the bridge, we will pass the the south of Rainford Island. At the 3.5nm mark Georges Island will be on our North East and will be just in front of the channel that extends from Hull Gut. We should not enter the channel.

We will then proceed at direction of 34deg for 0.3nm (6 Minutes) and land on the beach of Georges Island. ~11:30AM landing.

At Georges Island we will have lunch, explore the island and there are facilities on the island. (The facilities may be shut for the winter we will find out).

At 12:30 we will launch and paddle at 85Deg for 2.5nm. This will put us directly to the South East of Shag rocks. (50 Minutes)

From Shag rocks we will paddle at 22deg for 2.25nm. That will put us at the Graves light. (45Minutes ) (The time should be ~2:35PM) We will spend about 30 minutes hanging out at the light house.

We will proceed at 235deg for 3.5nm. That will keep us to the south of south Channel. We will end up Just North of Lovell Island. (~70Minutes)

We then need to proceed from Lovell Island for 1nm at 270 deg the the north end of Long Island. We will have a channel crossing (The Narrows) along the route. (~20Minutes)

From Long Island we proceed West at 280 degrees for 3.0nm. During this leg we have to cross Sculpin Ledge channel and must stay to the south of President Roads channel. (60 Minutes).

From there the City point launch site should be in site. It can be reached by paddling at 340 degrees for .125nm. (3 Minutes)

For tides we have an 13.53 0.8' low and a 20:54 9.1' high; thus, we should have some help from the tide.

-Jason

I have been rethinking the trip this weekend. I haven't had anybody RSVP. It might be a little early in the season to run a level 4 trip.

I will reschedule this trip for another weekend, June?

-Jason

I have been rethinking the trip this weekend. I haven't had anybody RSVP. It might be a little early in the season to run a level 4 trip.

I will reschedule this trip for another weekend, June?

-Jason

Yes Jason, June or even May would probably be better for me I would love to join you but am busy this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for your next posting of it.

Ross

Hi Jason!

I'd love to join ya, but I haven't gotten wet yet this year, AND I'll probably be a first-time granddad in the next two weeks...and whatever other rationalized excuses....

Are you keeping option open for April 5?

Ern

Hi Jason!

I'd love to join ya, but I haven't gotten wet yet this year, AND I'll probably be a first-time granddad in the next two weeks...and whatever other rationalized excuses....

Are you keeping option open for April 5?

Ern

Ern,

I think that the issue is most people haven't gotten wet yet this year, starting the year off with a 15nm paddle several miles from a bailout isn't appropriate. I will re-post the trip again, when I posted the trip in December we had a large group that was interested but the gale warning (30knot+ winds) caused it to be canceled.

As for this weekend I was just invited to RI to go surfing with Mark.

-Jason