Adams Point, Great Bay NH

spider

on the outside chance we might both be writing a trip report I thought I would write a little report of paddling Tue Jan 12, 09 from Adams point.

After checking out the Bay the previous day I did post a last minute message that I was going to paddle and see if there might be some luck seeing the Bald Eagles and other wildlife that were reported up there.

The tides were right and I rendezvoused with fellow paddler Sid Cohen to check things out.

We both brought snowshoes as an alternative activitiy in case we were unable to launch our boats.

I was a bit surprized that the launch area had a new coast of skim ice that extended out about 1oo yards or so. Tempting as it was to try to push through it we used our better part of judgement and after some indecision we did find a safer place to launch that I would just as soon keep vauge, as it is quite unoffical.

Water was mirror smooth as we paddled out to the Footman Islands to appraise the situation. After scanning the usuall spots over by the refuge we opted to head to the opposite shore (nearer the Bay road side).

We quickly spoted an Eagle perched on a dead white pine often favored by the birds, we held off shore to keep our distance and soon spotted another then yet another.

All in all we spoted 6 Bald Eagles either perching or in flight.

One of the highlights was when one eagle seemed to be pestering the other other while in flight and one rolled over in midflight - presented it's talons to the other whle upside down.

This all happens in the blink of an eye.

(Bald Eagles will sometimes lock their talons together and free fall tumble through the sky and break it off at the last possible moment).

After the observations we needed to paddle to keep warm and headed over to Nannies Island, in the now textured water.

Sid was an excellent paddling partner and we made good time, keeping our distance from the ice which helped determine how extensive our wanderings would be.

I misjudged one ice flow off of Woodmans Point and found myself awkwardly on top of the ice which I had thought would easily give way. Instead I floated on top off it while the ice sagged beneath me.

Though I only had to go several boat lengths through it.. it would be about one the last places one would ever want to go over.

So I'll give a big word of caution to give any ice even the slushy stuff a wide berth.

(It reaffirmed our decision not to have launched through the skim ice at the begining of the trip).

All in all it was an excellent trip, Lots of waterfowl with a Loon and some Mute Swans to help add , to the enjoyment.

on the outside chance we might both be writing a trip report I thought I would write a little report of paddling Tue Jan 12, 09 from Adams point.

After checking out the Bay the previous day I did post a last minute message that I was going to paddle and see if there might be some luck seeing the Bald Eagles and other wildlife that were reported up there.

The tides were right and I rendezvoused with fellow paddler Sid Cohen to check things out.

We both brought snowshoes as an alternative activitiy in case we were unable to launch our boats.

I was a bit surprized that the launch area had a new coast of skim ice that extended out about 1oo yards or so. Tempting as it was to try to push through it we used our better part of judgement and after some indecision we did find a safer place to launch that I would just as soon keep vauge, as it is quite unoffical.

Water was mirror smooth as we paddled out to the Footman Islands to appraise the situation. After scanning the usuall spots over by the refuge we opted to head to the opposite shore (nearer the Bay road side).

We quickly spoted an Eagle perched on a dead white pine often favored by the birds, we held off shore to keep our distance and soon spotted another then yet another.

All in all we spoted 6 Bald Eagles either perching or in flight.

One of the highlights was when one eagle seemed to be pestering the other other while in flight and one rolled over in midflight - presented it's talons to the other whle upside down.

This all happens in the blink of an eye.

(Bald Eagles will sometimes lock their talons together and free fall tumble through the sky and break it off at the last possible moment).

After the observations we needed to paddle to keep warm and headed over to Nannies Island, in the now textured water.

Sid was an excellent paddling partner and we made good time, keeping our distance from the ice which helped determine how extensive our wanderings would be.

I misjudged one ice flow off of Woodmans Point and found myself awkwardly on top of the ice which I had thought would easily give way. Instead I floated on top off it while the ice sagged beneath me.

Though I only had to go several boat lengths through it.. it would be about one the last places one would ever want to go over.

So I'll give a big word of caution to give any ice even the slushy stuff a wide berth.

(It reaffirmed our decision not to have launched through the skim ice at the begining of the trip).

All in all it was an excellent trip, Lots of waterfowl with a Loon and some Mute Swans to help add , to the enjoyment.

Ice is a tricky thing and can form quite quickly or move around during tidal changes and what was open once, will then become closed in.

And a note just for Spider - your drysuit is ready for pick up at NESC - gasket has been changed, all 303'd and zips waxed.

Suz

Thanks, that suit sure is nice and a great Christmas present from my wife.

For the Adams Point paddle I wore my wet suit and a few more layers...kinda felt like something from the March of the Penguins..